Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest "steal" you ever made...

Re: Biggest "steal" you ever made...

Quote Originally Posted by C4D View Post
    a couple weeks ago I purchased a 1946 Leica lllc with non pitted chrome finish with a working Leica MR light meter for $10 from a local picker here in the ozarks. He also had 5 rolls of unopened tri-x from 1981 that he charge me more for than the Leica!
    Dude, no fair. Aren't pickers supposed to know something about what they buy???
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

JOBO CPE2 for $20 on Kijiji including tanks and reels for 120 and 4X5. Clearout of an estate and certainly pays to keep track of Kijiji ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Dude, no fair. Aren't pickers supposed to know something about what they buy???
    lol... apparently not in the ozarks

Corran,

Same goes for the twits on American Pickers. On two episodes, the skinny one referred to what looked to be old Kodak Autographics and Polaroids. The only sure thing on that show is watching Danielle.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

A few months ago I was given two ltm mount lenses by a stranger, Russar 20mm and Canon 135mm.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    A few months ago I was given two ltm mount lenses by a stranger, Russar 20mm and Canon 135mm.
    Damn, I've been trying to buy one of those for years (russar). Have you tried it?

Yea I quite like it. I had the viewfinder laying around for a couple years - an expensive and mistake purchase a long time back - so I have the matching pair. It came with both front and rear caps as well.

The results aren't bad at all.

Having just watched a 203mm f7.7 Ektar in a Prontor SVS shutter with a touch of fungus sell for £155 ($250) I think my similar but mint 203mm Ektar lens that I bought for just under £7 ($11) is worth more than I'd thought

The UK made 203mm f7.7 Ektar (unlike the US version) is fully #0 compatible and Kodak Ltd (UK) sold it in Kodak Epsilon, Prontor SVS and late type Compur shutters over the years it was produced.

Ian

jadphoto

I've had a few find me...they never show up when I'm looking.

First was a Graphic View II (mint) w/210 Commercial Ektar, 75mm Super Angulon, case, 6 holders, plus Polaroid 545 (when you could still get Polaroid film) at a garage sale for $75. Sold the 545 for $50, net to me, $25. I was looking for a kayak at the time.

Sinar bag bellows and Sinar tilt head for $75.

Most recent was two Nikor sheet film tanks, only one reel but $11 for everything.

Not mine, but a student of mine showed up with a Linhof IV (mint) three lenses (don't remember which, but all were cammed), two Rolex 6x7 backs. He found it at an estate sale for $50.

Another student brought in a Gitzo 3 series and ask what I thought it was worth. He had found it sitting by itself on top of a hill.

Truth is stranger than fiction...

JD

Well I picked up a Yashica Mat-124 and a Gossen Sixtar for $50 today. Not a total steal but it's a good start to square format.