Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 6x17: Down the Slippery Slope!

Re: 6x17: Down the Slippery Slope!

"120 film adds an extra layer of protection against fogging"

A lot of better cameras do not have a red window to potentially fog film. This was a very spurious statement for cameras that have a metered film transport like a T 612 or 617 series camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post

A lot of better cameras do not have a red window to potentially fog film. This was a very spurious statement for cameras that have a metered film transport like a T 612 or 617 series camera.
    Your reasoning is completely wrong. First of all, Horseman sw617 that I was talking about, does not use red window. It has a metered film transportation mechanism. Second, The extra protection provided by 120 film's back paper is at work when the rollfilm is accidentally loosen, not when the film is in the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowleaves View Post
    Your reasoning is completely wrong. First of all, Horseman sw617 that I was talking about, does not use red window. It has a metered film transportation mechanism. Second, The extra protection provided by 120 film's back paper is at work when the rollfilm is accidentally loosen, not when the film is in the camera.
    Film does not "accidently loosen" in a Technorama. The paper does not protect from edge fogging from a loosly rolled roll of film when it is exposed to light outside the camera. And 220 has paper on either end of the roll to provent fogging with a properly working camera. 70mm had no paper at al.

Film does not "accidently loosen" in a Technorama. The paper does not protect from edge fogging from a loosly rolled roll of film when it is exposed to light outside the camera. And 220 has paper on either end of the roll to provent fogging with a properly working camera. 70mm had no paper at al.
    No, 120/220 film does not accidentally loosen in most cameras. They do, occasionally, loosen in your pocket or backpack.

Lachlan 717

Tautology aside, perhaps you were a little strong with your language here, Bob.

Perhaps it was just irrelevant, rather than spurious.

Mind you, having dropped a freshly exposed roll of tightly wound 120, I have no doubt that I would have fogged more of the images had I not have had the paper back. Maybe not many more, but more none the less.

As Shadowleaves implied, your comments neglect knucklehead users with hands too big!!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    In the interest of providing full information to the OP, the Fotoman, DaYi, Gaoersi and Art Panoramas can all do this as well on 120 film. At a fraction of the price of the Linhof (if price is a concern).
    Ditto with the Fuji. I've done hand-held shots with it although I prefer to use a light tripod. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    If it's the G617, it's the Fujinon 105mm f8.
    Yes that's correct. the G617 has only the one lens (105mm) which is a shortcoming. But I object to someone calling the camera crap. Agreed it doesn't have interchangeable lenses but it was not in that price-range either. I got what I paid for at a time when it was the only reasonable option to the Technorama at 1/3 the cost. I purchased mine well before the GX617 came on the scene with all the lenses and accessories.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

ARS KC2UU

dark slide mask is a great idea. I've done it a lot when i was using a 4x5 camera...
    I've done it in 8x10 with marginal success. Although others I'm sure have had good results. I never spent much time trying to improve my technique, preferring to use a camera designed for the format. Most significant problem I encountered was light bleeding through to the adjacent frame. I did leave a rather wide margin between upper and lower frames when I cut my dark slide mask but bleed through still seemed to be a problem. Bob G.

ARS KC2UU

No, 120/220 film does not accidentally loosen in most cameras. They do, occasionally, loosen in your pocket or backpack.
    I disagree. I've had some 120 films spool loosely on the takeup spool. And after inspection I determined the cause was poor quality control on backing paper dimensions and/or plastic spool width. i.e., either the paper was a mm or so too wide for the spool or the spool too narrow... whichever.

I don't recall which films I had this happen with over the years but most of my films have been the big name brands. Bob G.

I have the Shen-Hoa HZX-45IIA. I'm thinking of getting the "Shen-Hao 6X17(120)for 4X5 Roll Film Back". The one for $595.00. The widest lens I have is the Nikkor 135mm f5.6. Will this lens work well with this setup? Also, what is the widest lens that can be used with this? I have the standard bellows. Would it be about 75mm?

Jon