Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 6x17: Down the Slippery Slope!

ARS KC2UU

Re: 6x17: Down the Slippery Slope!

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    I have the Shen-Hoa HZX-45IIA. I'm thinking of getting the "Shen-Hao 6X17(120)for 4X5 Roll Film Back". The one for $595.00. The widest lens I have is the Nikkor 135mm f5.6. Will this lens work well with this setup? Also, what is the widest lens that can be used with this? I have the standard bellows. Would it be about 75mm?

Jon
    I can't answer this for the Shen Hao but I can answer for a Tachihara.

I use 90-mm and 75-mm Schneider Super Angulon lenses with this setup regularly.

Minimal movements with the 90-mm and essentially no-movements feasible with the 75-mm. Both mounted with standard lensboards. If I got recessed boards I'm sure that would help with movements but I rarely need movements with such wide angles.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    I can't answer this for the Shen Hao but I can answer for a Tachihara.

I use 90-mm and 75-mm Schneider Super Angulon lenses with this setup regularly.

Minimal movements with the 90-mm and essentially no-movements feasible with the 75-mm. Both mounted with standard lensboards. If I got recessed boards I'm sure that would help with movements but I rarely need movements with such wide angles.

Bob G.
    Thanks for the info Bob. Do you know if my 135mm would work on something like this? I would have to buy the 75mm / 90mm, so I would like to start with the 135mm first. I know it may be a bit long with this back, but I assume it will cover it.

Jon

Thanks for the info Bob. Do you know if my 135mm would work on something like this? I would have to buy the 75mm / 90mm, so I would like to start with the 135mm first. I know it may be a bit long with this back, but I assume it will cover it.

Jon
    135mm should give you some space for movement. Nikkor-W 135/5.6 has about 24mm of maximum rise in horizontal format, at f/22.

For 90mm or 75mm, you can always get a Shen-Hao wide angle bellow for large movements with 6x17 back.

ARS KC2UU

Jon
    My guess is your 135-mm lens will work fine.

I have a 135-mm Schneider Apo Symmar I bought from someone here on the forum several months ago. I've only shot a few sheets with it but the little bit of extra bellows length makes for much easier movements.

With my 90-mm the bellows is not completely collapsed but close. That restricts movements.

With my 75-mm the bellows is completely collapsed and no movements are possible. I'm just lucky it focuses perfectly at infinity with the bellows collapsed. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to use it without a recessed lensboard.

And I have so many other things I want to buy first that I'm glad spending the $100+ on a recessed board can wait a bit.

Now when I finally get that 58-mm Super Angulon (sometime way down the road) then I'm sure I will need the recessed board for that one.

Cheers,

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Thanks for the info guys! I'm glad that I can start with the 135. I'll have to save for about two months before I can get the back though!

Jon