Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polaroid 8x10 question

Re: Polaroid 8x10 question

If all goes badly wrong then on the side is a slot for a winder to process by hand, as to loading the tray should be fixed to the unit with the white positive tab inserted into the slot,the most important thing is to make sure positive it is sitting in the frame,if not it will not pull through with the neg. When shooting the neg just ensure that the top of the envelope is over the tab so when you pull off the sleeve the neg stays in the slide, when putting the slide into the tray it should all fix snugly ,any movement will indicate the slide is not fitting, ,when you press the power button keep it pressed until the slide goes through , then wait until the time is up, and if I were you add a bit , resist the urge to pick it up too soon as you will get marks on the print.

If the capacitor is a 'run' capacitor, the uF is critical (for motor performance) and should be matched when replacing.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89494

Digikey has stock in 0.82 uF to closely match the motor. Ben did the correct thing by selecting voltage based on AC rating and not DC. Do not use a cap based on DC rating! Not sure 220V-AC rating is high enough and realize it's 120V-AC but I seem to recall some EE type article spec'ed a much higher voltage above nominal line voltage (like 600vAC) . Don't recall exactly, so leave that to a (motor) Electrical Engineer (I am (camera) Electronic Engineer).

Be very careful with the cap and proper insulation. Think what will happen in 10 years, will plain tape still adhere properly enough to risk a life? I'd crimp / solder one of the leads directly to the spade lug so it's mechanically held in place.

Best Regards,

Tim

Good idea, Tim. But I'm going to wait another year or two to open the case again, because now I'm freaked out about the carcinogenic oil. Haha

If I die young, don't tell my wife it was all because I just had to run some expired 809!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Yeah, I just swapped it and powered it on. It works fine!
    I used a 1uF as well and my Polaroid processor is back in business! Thanks Ben for the info.

PS Strangely, it also fixed the timer buzzer. Before the fix, the buzzer would go off until I unplugged the unit. Now, the buzzer shuts off after a few seconds the way it's supposed to.

retrogrouchy

As per my post in the other thread, that is NOT a suitable replacement capacitor because it is not rated for the current you're subjecting it to. Buy a proper motor capacitor, it will still be only about $1 for 0.8uF.

Vince Donovan

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Now I just need to wait for the Impossible Project to start making the film again!
    As you probably know, Impossible has had 8x10 in stock for several months. They have two formulations, old and new. The newer seems to have better blacks and a better tonal range. https://shop.the-impossible-project..../film/8x10inch