Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: State of 8x10 film production now & future

Re: State of 8x10 film production now & future

Craig,
    If Andrew hasn't got his thing up and running by the time you next need 8x10 film, do you want to combine an order from Freestyle?
    Mike

Just as an aside, color film development here in NYC from US Color Lab, $5.50 a sheet (E-6 within 3 hours, c-41 within 24). I haven't used them for LF yet, but they have done right by me on my medium format stuff.

www.uscolorlab.com

Quote Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
    Just as an aside, color film development here in NYC from US Color Lab, $5.50 a sheet (E-6 within 3 hours, c-41 within 24). I haven't used them for LF yet, but they have done right by me on my medium format stuff.

www.uscolorlab.com
    How is the dirt/squiggle performance on E6? Do they change their chemicals enough?

"I've been using these guys:

www.samys805.com"

I used Calypso for years and was going to buy/ build a processor until I saw the prices at Samy's in Santa Barbara. I have switched to using them the processing results have been great.

When I was doing business with Calypso I would just send in my film with my name and address. The receptionist knew of me, as did the lady in the processing department, and they would automatically process the film and charge my credit card. Once in a while I would have to change things and a phone call would work. If you use Samy's it's best to fill out the order form that they provide online and send that in each time with each shipment of film as they handle things differently. Unlike Calypso phone messages can reach a number of players with the same name. If you have done a lot of business with Calypso in the past don't expect the same workflow at Samy's. Once I started using the order form at Samy's each time, as I should have from the start, the turn around times have been very fast and the shipping is very fast and cheap as well.

Another vote for www.samys805.com on the west coast. This is for 4x5 film but they process 8 x10 as well.

Best Regards

So, where are we two years later? What films are still available and what labs can still handle the processing. A&I in LA has cut back but still does C-41 and B&W and is $8.50 for an 8x10 sheet, 4x5 is $3.00, not bad at all! Icon, http://iconia.com has benefitted from A&I shrinking its film processing options. They do process E-6, C-41, black and white!

Asher

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Kodak 8x10 is special order, for B&W and C-41 color, through Canham Cameras.
    No more Kodak E-6.
    Fuji 8x10 E-6 is available in Velvia (maybe) and Provia (definitely). Acros 8x10 is available in Japan.
    Ilford 8x10 is available, in Delta 100, HP5+, and FP4+.
    There's the stuff from Efke (going away?), Adox, and Rollei/Agfa.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Kodak B&W 8x10 is available at B&H as well.

I predict that Ilford will be the last manufacturer of 8x10 B&W film. I've already made the switch. It's nice not to have to worry about what Kodak will discontinue next.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

The prices even for 4x5 color were so daunting they pushed me to using a dslr (after one project with a hasselblad, which had a quaint look, but couldn't compete with either big film or a good sensor).

These prices for 8x10 processing would be a game ender for me instantly, unless I was doing assignment work for clients willing to pay for it. If image quality (or potential image quality) is the main justification for the 8x10 film, I'd look hard at exactly what you're doing. What's your typical shooting aperture? I ask because comparisons show that 8x10 is indeed capable of capturing more information than either 4x5 or medium format digital, but only within a narrow range of circumstances, including using apertures closest to the lens's sweet spot. If you're stopping down to f32 of f64 for depth of field, you are destroying your resolution advantages over 4x5 (which at f22 no longer has resolution advantages over medium format digital shot at f11. And so on).

At this point 8x10 would appeal to me mostly for contact printing alt processes or just for the fun of using it ... but I'd have to limit it to b+w.

Drew Wiley

That's nonsense, Paul. I routinely shoot 8x10 at f/45 and f/64, and it still blows away any
    4x5 at any aperture, provided the subject is amenable to typical view camera controls per plane of focus. I do this kind of stuff routinely. After all, 8x10 has four times the surface area as 4x5, so minor differences in diffraction aren't going to have that big an effect overall, esp if you are comparing big enlargements. A bigger problem is film plane flatness, since 8x10 will sag more in the holder; but that can be easily cured with adhesive filmholders.