Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too hot to process!

Too hot to process!

I was going to process a roll of film last night, but my apartment thermometer sat around 86F. Yes, it even gets hot & muggy in Minnesota. Oof da! It feels like I'd have about 4 minutes in the soup before the roll fogged out.

Re: Too hot to process!

That's cool

It's 10:26pm here and higher than that, and I process when it's 42°C+ outside (107.6°F), but I'll sometimes stick the air conditioning on for a few minutes first

Just process at a more sensible temperature like 26°C (79°F), it's not a problem but it is far more important to keep all stages within 1°C, but as the water temp here is remarkably stable I get to +/- 0.2C without really doing anything.

Ian

In the summer time, our tap water warms up and hits 70F (Winter time it is in the low 50's). Must be tough for folks in places like southern Arizona with "cold" tap water being so hot.

Sounds like 4 or 5 in the morning would be a good time to start developing for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Sounds like 4 or 5 in the morning would be a good time to start developing for you!
    Sometimes I return from the UK, 4 in the morning I come out of the air conditioned airport and get hit by the wall of heat even that early

It's what you get used to, and you change your processing to suit, I have a 20°C UK and Winter in Turkey regime, then my Summer regime there's no visible differences in quality of negatives.

Ian

I've processed in the summer in Phoenix. I use ice to cool a tempering bath and tube process. No problem...

BTW we hit 117 day before yesterday.

hacker extraordinaire

Here in TX, our air conditioning barely keeps it below 80F in here, and sometimes doesn't even keep it that cool. I've been going to make a temperature-regulating faucet but I'm not sure the tap water even stays below 20C. I've been contemplating drilling a couple holes in my chest freezer and making a recirculating chiller circuit, but for now I use ice cubes and ICY COOLS. It's rather inconvenient.

It's about 75 here in Central Oregon now with a nice breeze, it will go down to about 50 tonight. Of course this week is our one week of spring. As a friend of mine says, there are four seasons in Central Oregon - Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Road Under Construction.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    but Donald.......that's a dry heat. LOL

I live 35 miles East of San Diego in the foothills. It's averaging about 85 degrees F right now but in mid summer it stays in the high 90's/low 100's. I can process at 80 F now with D-76 1:1 so the time is long enough. Somewhere around here I have a formula for tropical developer that I'm going to try this year when it gets hotter. Now where did I put that...