Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Field Cameras

8x10 Field Cameras

Bill.....RW has a great price on the 810MII
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

8x10 Field Cameras

Yes, the Gandolfi Variant has shorter bellows ext. than some of the others - closer to the Phillips
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

8x10 Field Cameras

I use a Wisner 8x10 expedition and really like it. Compared to some (e.g., old Zone VI), it's lighter and more compact. Movements are smooth, lots of bellows, lots of movements, nice to look at.

Good luck. Love looking at 810 screen, it's like TV! (Only upside down and backwards!)

8x10 Field Cameras

the Canham 8x10 or the Arca-Swiss 8x10FC.

8x10 Field Cameras

I have a Canham and love it. Despite being at the light end of the 8x10 choices it is VERY sturdy/solid/tight unless you're at max extension and rise in a breeze. Smooth movements, very nicely made. easy to set up/take down. I looked for a while for a used one to come on the market-no such luck. Fits great in an F64 backpack.

Good luck

Alan

8x10 Field Cameras

I currently use a Toyo 45AII. Great little field camera. I was thinking about eventually stepping up to 8x10, but after I saw the Toyo 8x10 field at a store in Seattle, I don't think I'll be picking one up anytime soon. Big, heavy, and mucho bux.

4x5 is the ticket for me for now.

However, the Toyo 8x10 did look solid as a rock.

-klm.

Beverly Hills, California

8x10 Field Cameras

Ellis, someone pointed out the relatively measley rise on the Arca Swiss 5x7 and 8x10's, and I no longer consider them for the move up from 4x5.

8x10 Field Cameras

Hi-

<<Ellis, someone pointed out the relatively measley rise on the Arca Swiss 5x7 and 8x10's, and I no longer consider them for the move up from 4x5>>

Your right that there is no rear rise on the Arca 8x10 but there is full rear shift(100mm)/swing(+/-45deg)/tilt(+/-30deg) and front rise fall(40/60mm) shift(100mm)/swing(+/-45deg)/tilt(+/-30deg).

I think that compares pretty well with other 8x10 cameras especially at about 9 1/2 pounds and rock solid.

jim

8x10 Field Cameras

Regarding the Arca-Swiss: there is also a piece called "Extender for front format frame 8x10" (part number 069000). With this accessory you get the full raise of the front format frame (100mm). Regards, Wilfried.

8x10 Field Cameras

I like almost everything about my Deardorff 8x10 - solid, smooth, easy to open and close, good bellows extension, plenty of movements, etc. My one minor nit is that front rise and front tilt are controlled by the same locks, which isn't a real problem but I've always thought that each movement should have its own lock so that you can move the thing you want to move without moving the thing you don't want to move. My one major complaint is the weight (about 12 lbs). 8x10 has become my favorite format but when I add three lenses and three or four film holders, plus the usual other accessories and tripod, it really isn't practical for me to hike any significant distance with it. If I were doing it over again, and I might, I'd make low weight my first priority and look only at cameras weighing in the 9 pound or less range. I'd sacrifice a lot in the way of movements for a three or four pound weight saving. I'd probably start with the Phillips though when I checked last he was talking about a year for delivery. I don't know what other 8x10 cameras there are in that weight range but I'd give them serious consideration if there are any.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.