Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Representative 1930s camera

Re: Representative 1930s camera

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    8x10 Agfa/Ansco Commercial View, possibly with a 5x7 reducing back.
    In 37/38 the original owner of my Agfa Ansco Commercial View (& Dagor) went into a New York dealers and asked for the best possible View camera & lens available, he taught at the Clarence White School of Photography.

Ansel Adams used them and one photograph seems to show Brett Weston used one. (You'd probably know Merg).

They were the Roll Royce of pre-WWII US field/commercial cameras, but 2 years after the outbreak of WWII, 1941 the Agfa Ansco LF manufacture was moved from the Bingham factory, the cameras changed and were never again the same quality.

Ian

pramm

Thanks for the advice. As I am interested in commercial as opposed to press, seems a Kodak 2D or Agfa Ansco Commercial would fit the bill. I guess finding one is the next step. Oh well, no rush and finding it will probably be easier than using it.

Quote Originally Posted by peter ramm View Post
    Thanks for the advice. As I am interested in commercial as opposed to press, seems a Kodak 2D or Agfa Ansco Commercial would fit the bill. I guess finding one is the next step. Oh well, no rush and finding it will probably be easier than using it.
    You pay the air fare and shipping I'll bring mine

More seriously there will be someone near you with one who would help you out, the were very common cameras, and there's a lot in use by members of this forum.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Specifically a "Pre-Anniversary" Speed Graphic if you go the press photographer route. The later models will stand out as anachronisms for the 0.002% of viewers who know anything about this.
    Reminds me of the moment I realized I'd become a full-fledged Graflex nerd when I noticed a bunch of Pacemakers and Graflites in the Hell's Angels premiere scene from The Aviator.

3-1/4"x4-1/4" Graflex SLR.

Quote Originally Posted by emileway View Post
    A press Staff around 1928 (Top Hande Speed).
    I've a similar Continental Europe image (not UK) somewhere and all but one camera is 9x12 Avus (vertical) style, rather eerie to see these days.

Ian

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by peter ramm View Post
    Peter,
    Somewhere along the way, the Agfa Ansco name was changed to just Ansco. The older ones have a larger lensboard, and lack front tilt. You see these later "standard" models much more often than the "Commercial" (longer bellows) available. There is one currently listed on the famous auction site, but after a few messages with the seller to get more details, I found it isn't a Commercial. They just refuse to change the listing description.
    If you just need a photo prop, you could spend much less time and money on finding the more common model.
    Chris

pramm

Actually, I do want to use the camera. I plan to include it as part of the aircraft on-board kit, taking the odd shot at aviation events. Sort of an airborne anachronism.

Went through lots of 8x10 in the 80s and 90s for scientific applications and can't say I would return to it for most things. Recreating a historical context is the exception. An LFPF member has kindly offered a 2D for sale and I am considering that.