Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks to Richard Wasserman

Thanks to Richard Wasserman

Fellow member here, Richard Wasserman graciously came to my architectural photography class at SAIC yesterday to share his fine work. He showed original prints of two outstanding bodies of work, his Chicago River and Bensenville series. Richard is one of those guys I consider the "salt of the medium" doing fine work on their own because you are simply driven too by the subject matter.

Thanks so much Richard. It was a treat for the me and the students. Best of luck with the upcoming book of the Chicago River images and accompanying exhibit at the Harold Washington Library.

http://richardwasserman.net/
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Thanks to Richard Wasserman

Wow! Architectural Photography – supposedly that's one of the few fields in photography where one can “possibly” still make a humble living at.

I never concentrated on architecture – just photographing it as I happened upon it. Here's two images for your review - both were taken years apart and are un-manipulated flatbed scans so please pardon the dust on the B&W.

The first, Millbrae Station, was taken with a 90mm Grandagon from the parking lot. Do you think I included too much by incorporating the clock on the parking garage on the far right? Should I have been closer to the subject?

The second, A Julia Morgan Designed Mansion in Berkeley, also taken with a 90mm Grandagon, was taken last December while on a "photo walk" with a group of DSLR shooters. The light on the upper left of the house struck me as too harsh but I shot it thinking that I could "burn it down." Do you think this composition works? What about the reflections in the windows - should I have used a polarizer to remove them?

What do you think?

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Fellow member here, Richard Wasserman graciously came to my architectural photography class at SAIC yesterday to share his fine work. He showed original prints of two outstanding bodies of work, his Chicago River and Bensenville series. Richard is one of those guys I consider the "salt of the medium" doing fine work on their own because you are simply driven too by the subject matter.

Thanks so much Richard. It was a treat for the me and the students. Best of luck with the upcoming book of the Chicago River images and accompanying exhibit at the Harold Washington Library.

http://richardwasserman.net/
    S-t-u-n-n-i-n-g! Tremendous inspiration. Thanks for sharing Richard Wasserman's images. I wish I could have joined your class at SAIC, Kirk, and will anxiously await your next one. Please post those details here.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post

snipped......

What do you think?

Thomas
    I think you crashed someone else's thread.

Why not start a new thread to show your work? It's kind of rude and off-topic. We should be seeing Richards' fine work here instead.

Kirk,

I don't know why I just now found this thread. Thank you so much for your kind words, I really enjoyed showing my work to your class and meeting you and Tim. I'm always happy to share my work.

Thanks too for the yummy lunch!

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Beautiful work, Richard. Your affection for the subject matter really shines through.

Very nice Richard, this beautiful work reminds me very much of Steven Evans of Toronto, He photographed the Toronto Ravines with one project , and another the Ontario Thames river.

When does architectural photography become documentary/environmental photography and vis a versa?
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    When does architectural photography become documentary/environmental photography and vis a versa?
    Architectural photography embraces the full spectrum from hard core documentation of buildings like HISTORIC AMERICAN BUILDINGS SURVEY (HABS) to high style advertising images of buildings. It also includes landscape architecture and thus can include many diverse elements of the man-built environment like the Chicago River and its environs.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"