Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current Harrison Tents

Re: Current Harrison Tents

Mildew (fungus) is a destroyer of coated fabrics. I wonder: have those of you with problems left the tent stored in it's stuff sack for long periods? This is a sure invitation to mildew damage. rtbadman has the right idea - loosely stored in a mesh bag. I learned this only after losing several camping tents to mildew over the years.
    -Chris

I've had my Harrison for about 14 years, quite a few of which were spent in the tropics. It gets aired out after every use (or left up with the door open), so it is never put away with a sweaty interior. Except temporarily, I'd never put a camping tent away if it wasn't bone dry either (and that includes the bottom of the groundsheet).

Best,
    Helen

Just took Roger's advice and called Camera Essentials. I actually had a very good conversation with a person there who admitted to the problem and told me that the sleeve material has been changed but that the silver is the same. Both have degraded on mine.

She confirmed the new advice on storage and that they are in consultation with camping tent manufacturer's to seek other insights to the problem.

She also made me aware that they are offering a trade in sort of deal on the damaged tents where they will take the old one and offer a new one at "cost". The old one is then used for research to try to determine what causes the degradation.

She also confirmed that they have discovered that insecticides (Kudo's Frank) are one source of the melting.

So, I am ordering my new one and hoping for a better result ten years down the road. If it lasts that long without gooey arms, I will be very happy. Hell, if I last that long I will be happy.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

The Shadowbox 810 from Visual Departures is a better 'pup-tent' design and I've had mine 20 years and no problems carrying it from Antarctic to Canada. And they are still made. Large, with internal wall pockets and a stuff sack to store it in. Double sleeve elastic and white outside and double zippered black interior.
    Rod

Visual Departures website doesn't list a Shadowbox 810 that I can see.
    Cheers, Richard

Here is the listing at B&H.

Best,
    Helen

I bought one used, and the black material is kind of "moist". It doesn't come off on my hands or anything. But it sounds like that's next.

Maybe the dust will stick to the goo.