Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenses and dust

Lenses and dust

Hello,

I just received my first LF lens. It is a used Schneider APO-Symmar 180mm in good condition.
    The problem is that there is a decent amount dust visible. Is this something I should worry about or can this be neglected? Unfortunately I can't test this lens yet as I am still waiting for a camera...

Thanks

Re: Lenses and dust

Why not clean it? I assume its on the inside of the glass and not only in the middle section... I dont think some smaller dust on the front glass is anything to worry about but a fair amount seams a it much.

I already unscrewed the two pieces tried to blow it all away. But that didn't help much. The dust is within the construction.
    Should I send it back?

Since the dust isn't i focus, you shouldn't be able to se it on the ground-glass (on the camera) or on a print. But I can imagine thats its annoying to know its there.

Cant promise but it should work fine to use the lens.

Photograsaurus Rex

do not send it back. Lenses are the easiest to clean so long as you take time, dont' force anything, and use the proper tools. As long as your shutters are working fine, cleaning lens elements should be your top priority to get this thing back up to par.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivman View Post
    do not send it back. Lenses are the easiest to clean so long as you take time, dont' force anything, and use the proper tools. As long as your shutters are working fine, cleaning lens elements should be your top priority to get this thing back up to par.
    How is it done and what tools are needed?

It is unlikely that even a moderate amount of internal dust will have a visible effect on your pictures. UNLESS...you let the sun shine on that dust. Good shading keeps that from happening.

Rick "who owns few lenses without any visible internal dust" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by pivot View Post
    How is it done and what tools are needed?
    Spanner wrench, high-purity ethanol, some cotton balls, and some patience...

Photograsaurus Rex

Spanner wrench, high-purity ethanol, some cotton balls, and some patience...
    listen to this man.

also, there are many many tutorials out there on how to remove lens elements. I suggest you watch/read as many as you can before you start or risk destroying your lens.

I takes a ton of internal dust to affect the image. If the interior is not fogged, leaving it alone is often the best course.

But if the threads are not damaged, and you are careful, you can use the Grimes wrench to undo the retaining ring and clean it internally. Be very careful to note the order of things when you take it apart, sometimes there are spacers and you need to put them back in the right way.