Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andre Kertez vs Ansel Adams

Andre Kertez vs Ansel Adams

WOW! I got more then I bargained for! THANK YOU for the great comments. Though one reminded me to work on my slider and maybe get a cat to unwind my ball of twine.

Stephen, your comment brought to mind a situation, maybe 20 years ago, when someone at a local college showed me an AA 8x10 contact print, that was signed by Adams. However, I asked whether it was actually printed by him and the answer was no. It was printed by an assistant, with his guidence, under that program he started to make more affordable prints. It was around the time of his retropsetive at MOMA and book, Yosemite and the Range of Light.

The difference was obvious of Adam's prints, deeper richer blacks, more contrast when compared to the assistants prints. Whether the difference was intentional or different materials I do not know. Even the MOMO show had hung the same photograph from the same negative but printed at different times. His new book, celebrating 100 years compares prints done close to when the negative was made vs decades later. The differences are dramatic.

The format in which an image is made is immaterial to the message, thought, feeling, emotion that the photographer is trying to convey. Actually, if an image makes you think more of how it was made, then maybe the photographer did not accomplish what he set out to do.

Again, thanks for the comments!

IMHO -

A good print . . . is a good print.

PERIOD!

Even mine.

Not a surve ball. More like a slow pitch right down the middle of home plate.

Noticethat each of these guys selected the tool best suited to the job at hand: which was expressing their creative vision.

By the way has anyone else noticed that photons are not as good as they used to be?

Not a curve ball. More like a slow pitch right down the middle of home plate.

Noticethat each of these guys selected the tool best suited to the job at hand: which was expressing their creative vision.

By the way has anyone else noticed that photons are not as good as they used to be?

Who cares how it was shot.Just look at a Mattise you'll know what I mean.Its the subject matter that really counts.

Landscapes????????

Whatever God bless America.