Thread: B/W Printing from LightRoom and InDesign?

B/W Printing from LightRoom and InDesign?

Hi all,

For the last 7-8 years I've scanned B/W film, tweaked in PS, and printed with InkJet Control (MIS inks). Now I'm starting to use my 5D for some B/W (using LightRoom and InDesign) and feel like I'm starting all over again...

With InkJet Control and the MIS inks, I'd print out test patches and read them with my densitometer, and linearize my profiles. Worked great.

Not that I'm going with color managed programs, I guess I'll get a spectro and learn all about ICCs. I'm looking at getting SpyderPrint.

Anyone have any suggestions or workflows they would like to share? I'm using an Epson 2400 with the K3 inks, and will probably get a 4880 at some point in the near future.

Thanks!

Jon

Re: B/W Printing from LightRoom and InDesign?

Hmmm, maybe that was too broad of a question...

Anyone doing 'fine art' B/W prints out of InDesign? Any tips?

Thanks,

Jon

This not really on topic but hey.

I am far from an expert but after fooling with Epson's stuff I would start with QTR and learn how to use it. Then you can get a 4880 and some Cone ink.

Quad Tone Rip:
    http://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRoverview.html

Cone:
    http://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRpiezobw.html
    http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.15/.f

I think it's the way for serious B&W inkjet printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_2416 View Post
    Hmmm, maybe that was too broad of a question...

Anyone doing 'fine art' B/W prints out of InDesign? Any tips?

Thanks,

Jon
    Not an answer to your question but...for the conversion to B/W, Photoshop is great for converting DSLR images to BW:

It's so nice to be able to tweak the parameters and opacity of the those adjustment layers to get just the right effect. I pretty much do what's described in "Advanced Digital Black and White Photography" by John Beardsworth.

...Mike

Yes, I run my images through Lightroom, Photoshop, and InDesign all the time. To produce my prints with titles, like the one below...

Eric Chan's website has good info on printing to Epson printers from LR. He belongs to the LR team from Adobe, and is very helpful. He is a regular contributor in the luminous landscape forum where you will find tons of info on the subject.
    Sergio

My website

Yes, I have a lot of use for InDesign in my work. Basic workflow goes like this.
    RAW (or scan)
    LR and or CS4 to get to psd file.
    place psd file in InDesign document
    InDesign to pdf
    pdf back to TIF in CS4
    print black and white using QTR gui - Epson R2400 with Epson inks

A bit convoluted, but that's because I am using the R2400. Newer epson printers (I am told) will print just dandy out of the pdf document due to improved drivers.

I go this way because most of my work is a web viewable pdf folio. I use InDesign to add text elements, borders and other such stuff. I don't make a lot of prints because I like the look of the on screen presentation better. My web site is full of such projects. Click on by and take a look see.

You mention denistometer readings. Are you using a reflection densitometer to look at your final prints? I have used an X-rite 400 reflection densitometer to measure output. The X-rite will read the percentage dot gain on the print. This is comparable to the percentage density read by the eyedropper tool in photoshop. Once they match up, your computer and your printer are very happy working together printing black and white. Why do you feel the need for color management?

regarding printing from Lightroom, I just verified printing to QTR will function usefully given some particulars. Lightroom's data path appears to be limited to RGB, so even though you have used the various tools to make your file monochromatic, it is still a 3 channel RGB file, and will only convert to and from RGB spaces and output profiles.
    Fortunately QTR will accept RGB input and deal with it handily.

So the B&W workflow to print from Lightroom to QTR is-

For Cone setups using his curves, which are optimized to 2.2 gamma, check the "include display profiles" box, your RGB working spaces will now be available, select a 2.2 gamma working space like AdobeRGB or sRGB as your printer profile. Hitting print will then take you into your normal QTR dialogue box.

For other QTR setups using included tools or curves, which linearize to LAB, select QTR_RGB_Matte_Paper or QTR_RGB_Photo_Paper as needed as the printer profile.

If you make your own QTR profiles, make RGB versions for Lightroom printing using QTR-Create-ICC-RGB.

Single channel profiles (grayscale) or CMYK 4 channel profiles don't even show up on Lightroom's list.

THis may be redundant info for many, but I'm just now exploring Lightroom options for fine art, as I don't really use it myself.

I could rant about the dumbing down and options-consolidation of our supposedly "evolving" tools, but it only reveals the codger in me to no good end...
    Tyler