Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help With An Arca Swiss

Re: Need Help With An Arca Swiss

Thanks for the advice Dominique, Why were you not happy with the collapsible rail with the extender????
    Also i will be using it with a 240mm and 360mm, and will be shooting 4x5 as well as 8x10.
    Does anyone know were you can go check one out in a showroom as everywhere seems to be a special order, I am thinking I will have to fly to france.
    Any ideas?

Rohan,
    The collapsible rail is OK alone, but the limit is a 240 mm lens at infinity. Above, you will have to add the extender. It's tolerable in 4x5 as you probably don't need long draw too often, and the set is not too heavy. With a 8x10 camera, depending on your way to shoot, you may be exposed to need the extender more than 2/3 of pictures. As the he collapsible rail and the junction to the extender are made, you can't slip them in a long optical bench. So you have in hands a long bit of articulated rail, a not long bench, and the whole not optimal to balance and stand firmly ont the tripod. However, it's manageable, and when I used it I added a small bench supported by a walking stick.

Don Nelson

Rohan
    I actually have a pair of Arca 8x10's - the first FC purchased in 1991, without orbix or metric. It packs quit well on a short section of rail. The second FC is the newer version of the FC. Both with 171x171 lens boards, which is needed for some of the larger lenses I use.
    Good thing you are purchasing it new - the rail you receive (and the bridge you should be ordering as well) will be for the newer "thick rail" with the tightener slot inside the rail bottom of the rail (quit visible on the end of the thick rail). The older F and FC models had very thin (and wimpy with heavier lenses unless it was in a bridge) rail that had no slot, and the bridges were tightened with compression clamps on the sides rather than the 1/2 turn screw on the bottom of the rail. So if you are going to find any rail, etc on the used market, make sure its compatible with your new Arca rail.

Best to you and your new Arca. You won't regret the purchase.
    Don

hey thanks for the advice, still not sure about the 30cm collapible rail with the extender, i am thinking i might take flight to the states and have a look at one at percision camera, as I could get my tax back on it flying home, which would pretty much pay for the flight, also i would not have to pay import duties. I am about a month away from getting one, and god my horseman seem so big and heavy now as I used it the other day.
    anyway thanks again all of you for you help.

Smile Re: Need Help With An Arca Swiss

Photomark in Phoenix has many Arca cameras in stock.
    I will send you some info if you email me your snail mail address, on how to better use the Arca system.
    I teach large format photography and many of my students use Arca cameras.
    Rod