Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lerebours Serial Number - Rice Writing

Re: Lerebours Serial Number - Rice Writing

Quote Originally Posted by anachromatic View Post
    I think Lerebours had much more status and relative importance in 1839/1845.
    Do not forget that was in the earliest team with Bianchi, Giroux, Chevalier y Gaudin as Daguerre's camera/lenses maker/provider, a really early manufacturer of some advanced cameras and lenses, an early Voigtlander's retailer in France and then the first french maker of Petzval lenses, "Excursions Daguerriennes", "Traite de Photographie et...",
    In 1850/1860 he was very popular and massive, but comparatively less important; and similar to many other manufacturers in terms of the quality and innovation of its products...
    Check at "Histoire de la Photographie" by Lecuyer, "Theorie und Geschichte des photographischen Objektives" by Von Rohr or "History of Photography" by Eder among others....
    Agreed! I had forgotten his literary contribution in the early days. Until 1845 he was only making single achromats and the Doomed Combine. The Petzval version came in 1845, when he became Lerebours et Secretan and started serial numbers. THe Petzval was not a major product until late in the late 1840's - as can be seen in the serial number / lens type list in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Agreed! I had forgotten his literary contribution in the early days. Until 1845 he was only making single achromats and the Doomed Combine. The Petzval version came in 1845, when he became Lerebours et Secretan and started serial numbers. THe Petzval was not a major product until late in the late 1840's - as can be seen in the serial number / lens type list in this thread.

Steven, Lerebours was making lenses with the Petzval design from 1842. He started as retailer of Voigtlander lenses and few months later he starts production of Petzval lenses. Lerebours early cameras(1839-1842)fits achromats lenses; maybe few cameras in 1842 fits the earliest Petzval lenses by Voigtlander and from 1842 in advance he sell cameras with Lerebours Petzval lenses.
    Some samples from my collection coming soon....
    ...in Instagram as ATELIER PETZVAL.

Actually, that is wrong. Lerebours was making Petzvals from the early 1840s, not late. According to the Vade Mecum, "He designed Petzval Portrait Lenses with improved colour correction in 1840." But I think that's about a year or so early. By 1842, yes many Petzvals were being built by Lerebours. He sold and recommended them in his 1843 Treatise (a 3rd edition guide and catalog), and the period journals are full of reports on using them. ("Double Objective" is a Petzval)

A treatise on photography : containing the latest discoveries and improvements appertaining to the daguerreotype
    (by Lerebours, 1843) here
    Last edited by goamules; 3-Aug-2018 at 18:59.

Yes, I was aware of the 1842/43 Lerebours publications and the lenses for Gaudin and "systeme allemand".
    But where are these pre-serial number Petzvals? I haven't been able to find any in the Pont et Princelle booklet or even in Corrado's book.
    I am also intrigued by figures 7 and 8 in the last post - and which is also reproduced on page 15 in the Pont et Princelle booklet. Is this really a very poor sketch of a Petzval - or is this a Verres Combines? Certainly, Pont et Princelle think it is a Verres Combines in the sketch!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

[/U][/B]

Steven, Lerebours was making lenses with the Petzval design from 1842. He started as retailer of Voigtlander lenses and few months later he starts production of Petzval lenses. Lerebours early cameras(1839-1842)fits achromats lenses; maybe few cameras in 1842 fits the earliest Petzval lenses by Voigtlander and from 1842 in advance he sell cameras with Lerebours Petzval lenses.
    Some samples from my collection coming soon....
    I look forward to seeing these as you seem to be the only owner of a Lerebours (not Lerebours et Secretan!) Petzval!

Yes, I was aware of the 1842/43 Lerebours publications and the lenses for Gaudin and "systeme allemand".
    But where are these pre-serial number Petzvals? I haven't been able to find any in the Pont et Princelle booklet or even in Corrado's book.
    I am also intrigued by figures 7 and 8 in the last post - and which is also reproduced on page 15 in the Pont et Princelle booklet. Is this really a very poor sketch of a Petzval - or is this a Verres Combines? Certainly, Pont et Princelle think it is a Verres Combines in the sketch!
    Steven,here you have some samples of Lerebours Petzval lenses(dit "Systeme Allemand") from circa 1842/1843. In the next replay, I added also pics of an original and really early Voigtlander petzval lens(serial #380) that is fitted on a really early Lerebours daguerreian camera(not a collodion camera!!) from adaguerreian set from late 1842/early 1843. Also a sort of "missing link" from the earliest Lerebours Petzval lenses to the regular Lerebours & Secretan Petzval lenses. This one is signed "Lerebours & Secretan" but has not serial number.
    Finally some pics from the really 3th edition of Lerebours traite and Catalogue of May 1842.

2 Lerebours Petzval lenses(c.1842/1842) and 1 Lerebours & Secretan Petzval lens(c.1845) with no serial number.

Lerebours Petzval lens(c.2nd half of 1842) that comes from Marseille, France.

Lerebours Petzval lens(c.2nd half/1st half 1843) that comes from UK.

Lerebours & Secretan Petzval lens(c.1845) with no serial number that comes from a daguerreian/collodion camera set sold in France

Here the early Voitlander Petzval lens fitted on a Lerebours daguerreian camera(c. 1842/1843) and the Lerebours Traite and Catalogue from May 1842(3th edition).

Voigtlander Petzval lens serial #380 fitted on an early Lerebours daguerreian camera(c.1842/1843)

Lerebours Traite and Catalog from May of 1842

Page of the May 1842 Lerebours Catalog where you can see the doubble lens or objectif "Systeme Allemand".....Petzval lens.

I look forward to seeing these as you seem to be the only owner of a Lerebours (not Lerebours et Secretan!) Petzval!

I have two early Petzvals made by Lerebours. I think one of them is really early....maybe late 1842. Both signed only "Lerebours" and with no serial number.

Lerebours & Secretan Petzval lens(c.1845) with no serial number that comes from a daguerreian/collodion camera set sold in France
    The two Lerebours Petzvals are very impressive - pity there are no images of these in the few "standard" works.
    I am not so sure about the one above - which is one of three "Lerebours & Secretan" sold through Flints last year. Very early 1845 production could be an explanation.

The two Lerebours Petzvals are very impressive - pity there are no images of these in the few "standard" works.
    I am not so sure about the one above - which is one of three "Lerebours & Secretan" sold through Flints last year. Very early 1845 production could be an explanation.

No doubt about this lens, is something like a "missing link". Its morphology is closer to the very first Petzvals made by Lerebours but already corresponds to the period of the Lerebours & Secretan brand. Made certainly in 1845.
    That sale was only the last link in a chain, the lens pops with a "fresh to the market" photographer set...