Hi,

Just developed my first 8x10 B&W shots (one of the cat, another of a chair haha) and I'm experimenting with Vuescan 8.6.38 on a Mac Pro 1,1 with OSX 10.6.4 and 12GB ram. Scanner is an Epson V700.

I'm using the "film area guide" on the glass bed as my betterscanning mounting station thing only works for 4x5. Because the film was peeling up from the heat of the scan, I am scoth taping the edges down so that it stays reasonably flat (meanwhile I'm looking for suggestions on who can get me AN glass that I can just lay on top of the film).

So, the major issue I am running into is that I can't get a scan over 1.2GB in size. No matter if I select 1600 or 3200 DPI, I get 12700 x 15700 dimensions, and the file size is 1.2GB. 3200 DPI takes like 2+ hours, however. I'm scanning 48bit RGB so that I have the most info to work with for photoshop.

As I understand it, the V700 in this mode will only scan 800 dpi, 1600, 3200, etc and the other in-between resolutions (2400, etc) are interpolated. Otherwise, I would use 2400, as the endless arguments that abound seem to say that 2400 is about all this scanner can do anyhow.

I would like to be able to make a really large scan and then reduce down, which if course I can do now, but I'm a little disappointed, if only because my Nikon 9000 can do just about as good from a 6x7...

Is this a vuescan thing? I have a silverfast license from my OSX 10.4 days (3 weeks ago), but I'm not sure I have the binary (which probably means I'd have to upgrade my license and pay them in order to access any binary at all), and I like vuescan better anyhow from a "lock exposure and film base color" perspective.

Is this a known thing, or am I doing something wrong?

(Haha I haven't even fired up the Nikon 9000 yet since the 10.6 upgrade. One frustration at a time...)

Thanks for any help/ideas