Thread: Helicoid for Fujinon 65mm 5.6 on Linhof Technika

Exclamation Helicoid for Fujinon 65mm 5.6 on Linhof Technika

Hi,

I got a Fujinon 65mm f 5.6 lens for Linhof Technika and it was mounted on a flat board, I did mount it on a recessed board as the rails were visible and they still are with the recessed board as well!
    I was thinking of mounting it on Helicoid so I can drop the front rails and hopefully it won't come in the frame. I can't drop the rails now as they are at very end.
    Any suggestions for helicoid? Which one should I take and how can I mount it on the board? When I searched I could find a couple of them sold on ebay but no reviews for it, so thought of asking.

Or any other solution is welcome as well.

Thanks,
    Parvez

Re: Helicoid for Fujinon 65mm 5.6 on Linhof Technika

Quote Originally Posted by nobrains View Post
    Hi,

I got a Fujinon 65mm f 5.6 lens for Linhof Technika and it was mounted on a flat board, I did mount it on a recessed board as the rails were visible and they still are with the recessed board as well!
    I was thinking of mounting it on Helicoid so I can drop the front rails and hopefully it won't come in the frame. I can't drop the rails now as they are at very end.
    Any suggestions for helicoid? Which one should I take and how can I mount it on the board? When I searched I could find a couple of them sold on ebay but no reviews for it, so thought of asking.

Thanks,
    Parvez
    LInhof, until a few years ago, made the wide angle focus device which accepted 45 to 65mm lenses mounted on a special Technika 23 board.

After they discontinued this system, till today, they mount lenses from 45 to 65mm on various boards each with a specific helicoid mount to use these lenses on Technika IV through to the current models.
    Both of these systems use the lens mounted within the camera housing and with the bed dropped to its lowest position.

Pull the lens standard out on the track and then retract the slide. Drop the bed and tilt back the lens to be parallel with the the film back. Then open the lens and move it back on the track and see if you can attain infinity focus on the ground glass. Lens standard may hang off the rear of the slide a bit, but should grip firmly. Raise the lens to be square with the back. If all goes well, install a set of infinity stops for the 65mm.

I had a 58mm lens in a custom deeply recessed board set up this way and I cut down a 75mm cam to match it. I think you will be OK, and this costs you nothing to try, and you might learn something. You can get many types of optical view finders to go in the shoe of the Technika to match the view of the 65 on 4X5, or the roll film formats.

Thanks Bob, yes Linhof has but expensive option

Thanks Neal, yes I plan to try this, but it would be hard to keep it flat as there are no geared movements at the back, will have to try it with the image on ground glass.
    Also, one more reason of looking for helicoid is easy of access, with the deep recessed boards changing the settings, like aperture or shutter speed.
    Will try this method anyways and will update.

Thanks,
    Parvez

Hi,

Thanks,
    Parvez

let me tell you about my experience with the fujinon swd 5.6 65mm.

the rear part is 1.5mm too big. too big for the chinese 65mm helicoids, and 1.5mm too big for the schneider-kreuznach helicoid for the 65mm super-angulon. 1.5mm too big for the linhof wide angle device ... this lens is simply not allowed on the linhof, you would think ...

there are two things you can do. instead of buying expensive stuff for the linhof, buy a horseman 45fa. the lens will fit on it. no tricks. you just start.

or file out the rear opening of the wide angle device until the lens fits. be careful: the bellows might break. the resale value will go down. anyway, the device is fiddly.

linhof technikas in IV and V prefer the 8/75 super angulon ... that fits in the helicoid and in the wideangle device.

perhaps these.chinese wideangle devices.could help. but.then you will have.to take out.the rangefinder.

the best option is the linhof kardan color 4x5. this camera takes.everything from 65 to 360. it has the tech 5 rise. it is affordable and very reliable. it not heavy and.a pleasure to use. you can use a flat lensboard for your 65mm lens.

i can recommend the horsema as well as the kardan color.

happy christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    let me tell you about my experience with the fujinon swd 5.6 65mm.

the rear part is 1.5mm too big. too big for the chinese 65mm helicoids, and 1.5mm too big for the schneider-kreuznach helicoid for the 65mm super-angulon. 1.5mm too big for the linhof wide angle device ... this lens is simply not allowed on the linhof, you would think ...

there are two things you can do. instead of buying expensive stuff for the linhof, buy a horseman 45fa. the lens will fit on it. no tricks. you just start.

or file out the rear opening of the wide angle device until the lens fits. be careful: the bellows might break. the resale value will go down. anyway, the device is fiddly.

linhof technikas in IV and V prefer the 8/75 super angulon ... that fits in the helicoid and in the wideangle device.

perhaps these.chinese wideangle devices.could help. but.then you will have.to take out.the rangefinder.

the best option is the linhof kardan color 4x5. this camera takes.everything from 65 to 360. it has the tech 5 rise. it is affordable and very reliable. it not heavy and.a pleasure to use. you can use a flat lensboard for your 65mm lens.

i can recommend the horsema as well as the kardan color.

happy christmas
    The 4X5 Super Technika cameras can cam couple to 75mm lenses and no wide angle focusing device is needed. Linhof stated that the shortest lens that could cam couple and focus on the tracks was 75mm. In fact, this limit can be reduced by those willing to experiment and perhaps fabricate some custom parts as I have described above to 58mm and certainly to 65mm.

Thanks Bob, yes Linhof has but expensive option

Thanks Neal, yes I plan to try this, but it would be hard to keep it flat as there are no geared movements at the back, will have to try it with the image on ground glass.
    Also, one more reason of looking for helicoid is easy of access, with the deep recessed boards changing the settings, like aperture or shutter speed.
    Will try this method anyways and will update.

Thanks,
    Parvez
    Apparently you are not aware that the slide can retract as well as extend. You need to thoroughly qualify yourself on the camera, its capabilities and its limitations. If you retract the slide, drop the bed and square up the lens, you should be able to locate infinity on the ground glass and set the stops just as you would with a longer lens and the bed in the normal position.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    The 4X5 Super Technika cameras can cam couple to 75mm lenses and no wide angle focusing device is needed. Linhof stated that the shortest lens that could cam couple and focus on the tracks was 75mm. In fact, this limit can be reduced by those willing to experiment and perhaps fabricate some custom parts as I have described above to 58mm and certainly to 65mm.

of course, you're right, and i had to understand this, too.. but getting a recessed lensboard for the 75mn super angulon was as expensive as using the already aquired wide angle device ...now i have got two helicoids, a wide angle device and a horseman 45fa, and i have three 65mm shots already, made in the last two years ...

the mentioned fujinon swd 65 is a very interesting lens. because it has f 5.6 and a greater image circle than the 65 super angulon. i like it very much. perhaps a grandagon will fit better into the technika?