Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a digital equivalent to a contact print

Re: Is there a digital equivalent to a contact print

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy View Post
    This printer is the one we wanted to dedicate to B&W only.

That is a clever way to apply glop in a volume shop.

Let me look for a file that I can send and have 2 prints made. One with glop and one without that I can spray to compare.

I can see the rational for your technique.

bob
    Bob,

Here is the link to Piezography Online Printing.

I highly recommend my Type 5 paper. I think its the best non-OBA Baryta paper on the market. Smoothest most silver-fibre-paper-type-air-dried-gloss effect. I'm sole importer in USA so you won't have seen this from any of the other companies or the OEMs.

Jon

What a lot of snake oil.
    Make a contact print and be done with it.
    There's really only one way to do it.

Anything else is something else.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    Anything else is something else.
    Maybe you're responding to a different thread?

The OP asked if there's an equivalent, in terms of certain qualities. He didn't ask if two different things were the same thing.

I'll agree with you in that if I want a contact print I'll make a contact print, as I have done many, many times. Generally now I don't, because I think the ink equivalent looks better. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Yes, I had neglected to consider the "I can fix it in Photoshop" aspect. I guess, like so many things...it is a subjective thing.
    Sorry but I don't know what the "I can fix it in Photoshop" aspect of digital printing is. If you're referring to a practice making sloppy photographs in camera with the idea that the slop can be fixed in Photoshop, that isn't what I had in mind when said that for some of us the benefits of printing digitally outweigh the detriments.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Henry,

The foundation of this discussion is the retirement of darkrooms and wet side print processing. Manufactures have discontinued many products and it's clear the inkjet printer has replaced the darkroom sink for a significant number of folks.

About 3 years ago, because of a home move, I gave away my enlarger and have been religated to the film/inkjet print ever since. I began wet printing in the early 70's so I am "wet" behind the ears.

No doubt you understand all of this. I am "now" (wasn't always) a believer that digital printing "done right" has no excuses to offer to the wet side crowd.

Brad S, Photoshop can not replace sloppy film technique, in fact, I would argue just the opposite. Sloppy photoshop work kills many prints from properly exposed, well developed negatives.

Photoshop just adds more capability to editing, once upon a time we waved our hands in light, or held pieces of cardboard with holes as we counted out loud.

Much more precise editing is possible now. I now expose and develop film optimized for a scanner, not an enlarger.

It works.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Sorry but I don't know what the "I can fix it in Photoshop" aspect of digital printing is. If you're referring to a practice making sloppy photographs in camera with the idea that the slop can be fixed in Photoshop, that isn't what I had in mind when said that for some of us the benefits of printing digitally outweigh the detriments.
    Sorry. I don't do photoshop. I was under the impression that the major benefit was the ability to edit the image...isn't that photoshop's raison d'entre? Why then do you use photoshop - if not to edit the digitized image?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy View Post

Brad S, Photoshop can not replace sloppy film technique, in fact, I would argue just the opposite. Sloppy photoshop work kills many prints from properly exposed, well developed negatives.

Photoshop just adds more capability to editing, once upon a time we waved our hands in light, or held pieces of cardboard with holes as we counted out loud.

Much more precise editing is possible now. I now expose and develop film optimized for a scanner, not an enlarger.

It works.

bob
    I didn't say or imply anything about sloppy photography. Brian Ellis did.

Please forgive me. I just cannot imagine why one would shoot 8x10 film and then scan and make an ink jet. I am not criticizing the method. I just do not see how one can justify the expense and..."physical burden" of shooting 8x10 when the final output is an injet of reasonable size. Would not 4x5 or even 6x7 suffice? but again, perhaps, this is just another way of stating your original question.

Confusing the terms "process", "edit" and "fix" requires ignorance on a much larger scale than the one limited to just digital imaging...

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Confusing the terms "process", "edit" and "fix" requires ignorance on a much larger scale than the one limited to just digital imaging...
    Do you have anything of value to contribute to the discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Do you have anything of value to contribute to the discussion?
    As opposed to you, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    You mean as opposed to...? You perhaps?
    I am trying to learn something. Trying to understand the viewpoint of another person.

What are you doing?