Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bellows repair

Bellows repair

I am in the process of a swap of this bellows for a lens. Both parties are good guys and I'm trying to do the right thing.

The photo attached is the bellows in question that in all other ways is in fine shape. The new buyer pointed out two small cuts he found in the bellows. One cut is 1-2 mm in length, the other is estimated at 2-4 mm. I don't have a clue how I missed this before shipping but I want to do the right thing.

Question, is this a simple and permanent repair and what is the best way to repair it properly.

It is on an 8x10 Sinar bellows.

Thanks in advance,

bob

Re: Bellows repair

Buy some Liquid 'Lectric Tape (vinyl encapsulating compound for wire splices etc.) from a home/hardware/electrical/boat store. Extend the bellows and apply a light coat to the holes, dabbing the compound in the void. Check it for light-tightness the following day and repeat the application if necessary. Allow to fully dry a week or so before folding. This protocol has worked dozens of times for me.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

The only right way is to replace the bellows.

Just waiting to be developed..

I second the liquid electrical tape. Its fantastic for small repairs on damaged bellows.
    Ive even used it as a preventative measure on some bellows dabbing it in the corner folds with a toothpick.
    I would caution that depending on your climates temp and humidity it may take some time to fully cure.
    You don't want to close the bellows and find them stuck together the next day.

Another option that i used a few times is black acrylic paint from an art store.
    Its actually is pretty good for minor repairs. Toothpick or q tip application is very easy.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Nice to know that there's more than one way to skin a cat...or repair a bellow for that matter.

Useful info, John and Ian! And bob...you're a good egg, mccarthy!

~Mark

Thanks Mark, hopefully it works out fine. If not let me know, I'll make it right.

bob

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

I know you will, Bob. No worries here.

~Mark

I'll add one final touch to the repair is to lightly dust the repair with talcum powder just to prevent any accidental sticking.

Lightly, and locally. I use black wetsuit cement and it worked well.

When it is only the corners - full 2" tape down all four corners is the best solution. For folding type cameras you have to be careful that the extra compressed width still allows for complete closing. The surface of the bellows has to be "primed" to ensure a good seal.

Dear Bob;
    Fabric paint is a permanent fix and is especially good on leather and vinyl. It can be found in any well stocked fabric store. I buy it from Joann Fabric. It comes in 1oz squeeze bottles and has an extremely fine applicator tip. I have used it on the leather upholstery in my collector cars for fine cracks in the leather seats and it can be applied up to 1/4 inch thick and it is indestructible. It takes 24hours to cure and it can be mixed to match the exact color. It's the dirty little secret most collectors use on their Concours cars when getting ready for a big show.
    Denise Libby