Thread: Pelican 1600 Case

Pelican 1600 Case

Hi everyone, I was wondering if my 5x7 Deardorff with 2-3 lenses would fit inside this particular case. Is it practical to use hardcases? I have a regular camera backpack that can fit 2 lenses. I am considering the humidity also here in the Philippines. Thank you.

Ari

Re: Pelican 1600 Case

are you flying with your equipment? If not, then generally I've found pelicans to be somewhat impractical, and expensive. They're a great design IMO, but if you're checking your camera equipment before boarding the plane, pelicans can give that little extra bit of protection compare with soft(er) cases, such as the Lightware and Tenba variety.

humidity where water can condense is the real problem. Those dessicant packets that come with shoes(yes, those little packets you've thrown away already ), are great to toss into the camera bag/case to keep the humidity in check.

a friend of mine went through southeast asia(phillipines, malaysia, thailand, laos, cambodia and vietnam) for 6 months on a after-graduation trip, he took 2 M6 Leica bodies and 3 lenses, as well as about 250 rolls of film(b/w and color slide), and he never had a problem with humidity affecting his equipment.

soft-sided bags generally have a problem with mold(if left for long periods of time), where as hard plastic cases such as the pelican generally dont.

but having a case that can "breathe" is helpful too, to keep moisture from condensing on the inside of the case/bag and forming mold/fungus(eww... )

but if you're walking around a lot with your gear, I'd recommend the backpack solution, or maybe even look at getting one of those briefcase-roller thingies that fold up. That way, you can use a hard case(if you go that route), but its easier than having to lug it by hand the entire time, instead, you "roll"

-Dan

Re: Pelican 1600 Case

If I'm going somewhere where I'd like to have everything
    I take the pelican
    ..I carry it all day even hiking in winter
    It's less cumbersome than a loaded down pack sweating up your back