Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Loading film backs in hot&humid?

Re: Loading film backs in hot&humid?

The Harrison tents are the best I've used and give you lots of space to spread out holders and film boxes while working which keeps contact to a minimum. Also helpful for keeping sweat drops away since you can push the film and holders away from just being under your hands.
    Jvuokko, changing film in a film changing tent in humid conditions is hellish. It will only work if you are in an air conditioned room, and chances are your relatives' place will be. I lived for many years on Kyushu (southern Fukuoka prefecture), and summers are brutally humid. If you don't have a film changing tent, hopefully your relatives' toilet room can be made light tight... if not, you can do all your film loading/unloading at night.

If time isn't a factor, unload film with gloves on. When all of the holders are unloaded and the exposed film is safely in the box, remove the box from the bag/tent. Take all the holders out and clean them and in each film slot insert a sheet of separation paper about half way and close the holder flap and insert the dark slide, bending the paper into the bottom dark slide slot. After all the holders are thus prepared then back into the changing bag/tent and with gloves on slide the dark slide halfway out and load the holder by sliding the film under the paper, which will automatically force the film into the film slots/guides. Remove paper and slide the dark slide home...done! and no sweaty fingerprints or misloaded holders.
    Denise Libby
    P.S. It should've been stated at the beginning of my post that I always carry a couple dozen seperation papers with me for lots of uses and this technique I developed years ago when I shot weddings in 4X5, in Sacramento, in the summer. We're talking HOT and unless you like to do a lot of retouching, gloves are essential.
    Last edited by archer; 6-Jun-2010 at 02:11. Reason: p.s addition

LJ Segil

Badger Graphic still has Fuji 160C and S Quickloads in stock, well priced.
    Larry

Yes Fuji Quickloads are readily available in Japan including Acros. I am going there to stock up next week in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    Nitrile gloves it is for me. Thanks for the tip.
    I use Nitrile gloves, and I love them. They fit tight, have breathable cloth on the upper side, and grip like crazy. I do cut the very tip of both forefingers and thumbs off to give me limited skin contact for more sensitive feel of areas where needed.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    I think Van Campers advice is pretty sound. I'm headed to Quebec city for a business trip in a couple of weeks. Debating what photo equipment to take. But I'm thinking roll film only for this trip (again). Saves a whole lot of headaches and most of my best shots have been with 612 and 617 anyway. And one can let the rolls go through the security x-ray scanners a couple of times with little worry. I ask for hand inspection but put the film through the scanner without an argument if they resist. Just don't put it in a plastic tub with something that will catch the operators attention for a long high-energy look. Cheers. Bob G.
    Just back from my trip to Quebec City. I wound up taking a mix of 4x5 and 120 roll-film equipment. For the 4x5 sheet film I was able to change film on an ironing board set up in the hotel bathroom at night. The only light I had to deal with was phosphorescence of the plastic cover over the fluorescent bulb... and the LED in the wall switch. I covered the LED with black tape and simply stopped using the fluorescent light an hour or so before changing film.

For changing film in my Sinar backs I simply did it outdoors carefully in the shade.

No problems noted. Cheers. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.