Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice to be back....I think!

Nice to be back....I think!

My name is Richard Boulware, and I live in S.E. Denver, CO....and I used to post a lot on this forum with a series titled: "Photographers Notebook".

Since taking my BFA in photography at Art Center College of Design in California I have had a successful career in my fields of advertising illustration and magazine photojournalism.

Now, semi-retired, I have this passion for helping younger people achieve their ambitions and grow in the skills and seeing, of what makes a good picture.

I had hoped to teach, and built a megabucks facility in my basement with a complete two enlarger darkroom, only to find that the world has gone "digital". It's the point and click bunch come back to haunt us.

Digital photography has allowed anyone to shoot acceptable photos and the value and credibility of skilled, educated wet/film photographers has gone down the tubes.

Yes, it's a tradegy, and the dramatic difference between a skilled professional photographer in the new, "Click and Giggle" bunch of digital shooters has made a true, traditional film shooter a relic.

There is a bright side however. I forsee the day when a really fine original wet process print in any gallery will contain, on the back of the mounted image, an statement that this print is "Not digitally produced in any way."

In the mean time, I shall begin to sell off, the magnificent equipment that sits, unused in my georgious dark room.

Inquiries: boulwareden@msn.com

Re: Nice to be back....I think!

Yes I missed you Richard, nice to see you back here!
    Times are changing but a good picture is still a good picture!

Cheers Armin

I still utilize my 2 enlarger darkroom. I also use an Epson 3800. They're all tools and the true craftsman picks the right tools for the right job.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Richard, a fine analogue print done by a great craftsman in either B&W or color is still somewhat unmatched in aspect and nuance IMHO. But regardless, the art of it all is in what we see and how we translate it to the print.

I also do darkroom work in color and B&W but utilize digital scanning and printing on occasion, especially for recovering my screwups. Like someone here said, "I love the smell of D76 in the morning", it gets the hormones flowing.

Welcome back!

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Welcome back to group therepy, Richard! There are still alot of us around that like film, even if we choose to print digitally a lot of the time! Yes, I have a DSLR and I use it alot in my Real Estate Appraisal business, but when I want quality I still turn to the Cambo view camera, the Hasselblad, the Rollei, or even one of the Minolta or Nikon 35mm's!

Hi Richard,

I had a conversation a few months ago with a gallery owner and fine art photographer about the use of digital and hybrid techniques in making photographs. He indicated that since the market had become so flooded with digital and hybrid photos that galleries are considering moving away from digitally produced work. I found this encouraging.

Welcome back, Richard!

The art market is predicated on exclusivity and scarcity. Any jackass can make an inkjet print, but not many can make platinum prints anymore. Or silver... Or dye transfer... etc!

What a bunch of pretentious horse hockey.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Art is pretense...

Do not sell it off! Alt-process is getting to be chic. You should start doing workshops for the young kids who are interested in silver and wet darkrooms - they are rebelling against digital. (I am not kidding.)