Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas - Fort Worth Gathering

Re: Dallas - Fort Worth Gathering

ONE OPTION:

Please let me know if there could be an interest from the group....

With the summer heat soon being to intense for many outside opportunities, I thought of moving the next LF gathering indoors.

This morning I spoke with the Tarrant County P.I. Officer about opening up the Old Tarrant County Courthouse to us on a Saturday or Sunday (easier parking!). The proposal will have to be brought before the County Court Commisison about three weeks prior to the established date, but the proposal seemed to sit well with Marc who manages these events.

The kicker is, there is a non-waivable day fee of $1,000 to have staff present and turn on the A/C and lights. Depending on how many participants we would have in attendance, I would set the minimum at ten so that our maximum cost would be $100 per person.

Personally, I think $100 (max) to shoot the interior of such a magnificant building would be well worth it.

your opinion please......

Sounds like a great opportunity Michael. The $100 per person is a bit steep I think but it may be worth it... depending on how nice the building looks on the inside.

- Wil

Octogenarian

Michael,

I think Tarrant County should pay us $100 each to photograph the interior of their building.

I own a minimum amount of lighting equipment and prefer to shoot outdoors.

Outdoor temperatures are manageable during the early mornings. It starts to get hot around 10AM.

I've photographed the outside of the Tarrant County courthouse, glowing in the sunlight. It's a neat old building.

Glenn Mellen

Michael,

If I'm in town the weekend of an outdoor gathering, I'll definitely be there. I would be less inclined to go and pay $100 for an indoor shoot of a courthouse.

Michael:

For what it's worth. I work at the Old Court House and I have a key to get in. If you don't mind working without air conditioning I think we can wave the fee. I can turn on the lights and open my courtroom since I'm the bailiff. Oh, I'll get the judge's permission just to be on the right side of polite. He might even get us on top of the building.

I have photographed this old building from the tops of two other buildings adjacent to the court house. Across the street from the south face is the Tarrant County Administration Building. There is a wall that is too high for large format as one must stand on a six foot ladder to look over the wall to view the court house. The Family Law building has a better view of the old court house but to get up there will take a formal request which is attainable. There is an elevator up to the roof and some short walls to climb to get to a ladder that leads to the edge. I sat up two tripods that held my 4x5 and a Pentax 645 and shot from about 7:30am to about 11:00. It started to get hot around 9:00. There is normally a breeze that will carry any loose lens cap over the edge. Don't ask how I know.

I am all for a get together in DFW. The old courthouse in Fort Worth is nice. Personally I think its better photographed on the outside and I would balk at paying that much to photograph the inside.

Some other outdoor areas of interest might be the Kimbell Art Museum. Fantastic building designed by Louis Kahn. Might want to get over and photograph the area before they tear up the green space to build an expansion later this summer.

For a possible day trip, might suggest Fort Richardson SP up by Jacksboro. Historic old frontier fort. Very camera friendly. Some buildings preserved interiors too. Plus a great place to eat in Jacksboro-The Green Frog.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

Thank you Rick.
    ============

Here are the "no-cost" plans:

Saturday, June 5, 2010

6:15AM = Sunrise for anyone looking to shoot the Courthouse at or near sunrise.

. Rick will open the building around 7AM.
    . Outside lamplighters will be turned off at 7:30AM
    . Tripod use inside is okay
    . Lights will be on in the hallways and stairwells.
    . One (and possible more) courtroom will be available for shooting

There might be access to the Family Law Center across the street to shoot the courthouse from a higher angle.

Lunch will be at 12:00 a block or two away at: Riscky's Barbeque; 300 Main Street; Sundance Square; Fort Worth, Texas 76102

At 12:45 we return to Rick's courtroom where JB and Susan Harlin will show and discuss some of their work with (highly customized!) ultra large format cameras.

Following the Harlins' presentation, anyone interested can continue on with us to the Amon Carter Museum to see the Ansel Adams "Eloquent Light" exhibit of 40 photographs currently on display there.

Looking forward to a great turn-out.

Please post to this thread if you are coming. I need a headcount for both the courthouse and lunch.

Please bring along some of your images to show on Saturday.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm in

bob

I'll be there for the morning but am headed with a group to the zoo at 10, so no lunch for me.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

I'll be there also! I've never been inside but am looking forward to it.
    -R