Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revolving back on the Toyo 45II worth extra weight?

Revolving back on the Toyo 45II worth extra weight?

I used to own a Toyo with a revolving back. It has been many years, but as I rec all, with wide angle lenses and with serious shifts or rises the extra thickness caused some vignetting. I now shoot Sinar (w/o such a back) and NEVER miss the r otating back. As already mentioned on this thread, you are shooting sheet film, which is inherently a slow operation.

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like 50% for 50% aganist.;-) Anyway I think I'll most likely get the AX both weigh a bit more than I'd like to begin with. So why add more and the vignetting with the II doesn't sound so great and the extra 4mm for short lens on the AX couldn't hurt either. I was wondering if anyone knows, the II adds 0.4lbs is that all the back or do they include the weight of the hood that comes with it?

Ed,

I also use the 45AX and do not miss having a revolving back. What I did purchase as an accessory, was the Toyo folding focusing hood, which also doubles as a ground glass proctector. I think the hood was around $90.00 or $100.00 through B&H. You will really enjoy this camera.

Dave Karp

Ed,

It might depend on where you photograph. A friend of mine sold a 45AII to a good customer who does a lot of work in the desert. He loves the revolving back because he does not have to remove it and expose the inside of the camera to blowing dust, sand, etc. Removing and replacing the back exposes the inside of the camera to more dust than opening the back to slide in a holder.

Another consideration. I was in the local Calumet store last week. Another customer was buying a new BossScreen to replace the groundglass that he broke by dropping the camera back. If you wear gloves, or are clumsy like me, you might want to carry the little bit extra weight and go with the revolving back.

Aside from the above and the added convenience of the revolving back (which I have on my Calumet 45NX and love), the revolving back won't make your photos any better!