Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 45N-2

Thumbs up Re: Chamonix 45N-2

Quote Originally Posted by shibby4x5 View Post
    Thank you so much to all of you! You're all being so helpful!

Would you say, between a Shen Hao and a Chamonix, one is better than the other?
    (as far as quality or anything along those lines)
    FWIW, I am no expert, but my local photocenter guru has a collection of thousands of cameras dating from day one through the present and he's used most of them.

http://www.photocentertroy.org/insid...scenes-11.html

When he looked over my Chamonix 045n-2, he basically told me that it was one of the finest made 4x5 portable view cameras he's seen at any price. He then rattled off a number of other brands at 2-3 times the price and his opinion was that the Chamonix was better designed and built than any of them.

Again, I'm no expert but I am VERY happy with the camera's quality and functionality.
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Re: Chamonix 45N-2

Also, do yourself a favor and read this review:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...chamonix+45n-2

It's Excellent!

chamonix.

hugo is the best. i have bought many cameras from him.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Eddie ...
    You're right !
    I buy from Hugo 2 cameras :Chamonix 20x24 , Chamonix 11x14 .. and the 3rd Chamonix 5x8 from this forum . Chamonix cameras are well made .

Lucian Marin

Hello everybody, on the same subject - which body should i choose between the Chamonix 45N-2 and the Toyo 45CF? They both cost around the same price, so i'm just now trying to figure out which could be my first LF.

Also, could you please suggest any dealers in Europe where to buy these cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by lmlmlm View Post
    Hello everybody, on the same subject - which body should i choose between the Chamonix 45N-2 and the Toyo 45CF? They both cost around the same price, so i'm just now trying to figure out which could be my first LF.

Also, could you please suggest any dealers in Europe where to buy these cameras?
    The two cameras are quite different. The CF is distinguished by its light weight. If that is what you are looking for, then the CF should be your choice. If you want more movements, then the Chamonix might fit the bill.

In any case, I'd pick up a used 4x5 for a first camera. That way if you don't like it you can sell it on for about the same price as you purchased it. It is not uncommon to see LF equipment for sale that was "only used once".

I've owned both the Toyo 45 CF and the Chamonix. The weight difference is very small but the Chamonix has hugely more movements and capability. The 45CF is essenentially a plastic Crown Graphic without the rangefinder and sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dahlgren View Post
    The two cameras are quite different. The CF is distinguished by its light weight. If that is what you are looking for, then the CF should be your choice. If you want more movements, then the Chamonix might fit the bill.

In any case, I'd pick up a used 4x5 for a first camera. That way if you don't like it you can sell it on for about the same price as you purchased it. It is not uncommon to see LF equipment for sale that was "only used once".
    Chamonix 45N2 weights around 1.5kg and is almost the same, if not lighter, than Toyo 45CF's 1.55kg.

Hello dear Chamonix users. I am also a newbee and looking into buying my 1st 5x4. I want to make it a chamonix, but that kind of depends on the difficulties of getting hold of one. I am based in Europe (berlin & bristol) and I was wandering, when you ordered one of Mr Zhang, how much import Vat were you been charged? That would be of great help. I have previously ordered photographic stuff from the states to germany and had a pay a huge amount. thanks for ur help!

Quote Originally Posted by Claudia Meyer View Post
    how much import Vat were you been charged?
    For Germany that's easy. You'll have to pay about 5% customs on your payment including shipping. On that you'll have to pay 19% Import VAT. As a rule of thumb: To get it onto your tripod you'll have to pay the same number in Euro as you payed in Dollar for the cam (depends a little on the exchange rate of cause).

Ulrich