Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Nikon 65/f4 usable without a centre filter?

I'm printing digitally, but like to have my slides 100% so a digital centre filter is not an viable option for me.
    If i could find a center filter i would love to get the Nikon because it sgould be a bit brighter than the Schneider and its a bit cheaper.

Re: Is Nikon 65/f4 usable without a centre filter?

I'm a rookie here so take this a large grain of salt.
    Assumption: The fall off is a function of the physics of the lens design and not unique to a specifc manufacturer. This means you can mix lens and CF as long as the threads match and the CF is designed for focal length and F stop of the lens.
    Based on that assumption I use a Rodenstock CF on my Schneider 75 mm SA. Seems to work fine. Still expensive though.

JGB

Glenn Mellen

A good accessory to make an attempt to find used. New Schneider or Rodenstock center filters cost $500 or more... I believe Heliopan makes one that will cost same price range or more. Used ones are frequently seen for far less (usually sold for around $200-ish)... there's several currently listed for auction on eBay (2-Schneiders and a Rodenstock).

Another option would be a Marumi center filter that sells for less than $200 new... but I know nothing about the quality of that brand... personally would be hesitant to use one without knowing something about how well it performs.

Quote Originally Posted by anchored View Post
    A good accessory to make an attempt to find used. New Schneider or Rodenstock center filters cost $500 or more... I believe Heliopan makes one that will cost same price range or more. Used ones are frequently seen for far less (usually sold for around $200-ish)... there's several currently listed for auction on eBay (2-Schneiders and a Rodenstock).

Another option would be a Marumi center filter that sells for less than $200 new... but I know nothing about the quality of that brand... personally would be hesitant to use one without knowing something about how well it performs.
    A wide angle center filter is wider in front then in back to eliminate mecahnical vignetting and so you can still add another filter. The Marumi is not a wide angle design and you may get mechanical vignetting and you can not stack filters.

Quote Originally Posted by anchored View Post
    ... there's several currently listed for auction on eBay (2-Schneiders and a Rodenstock).
    Funny enough the Rodenstock one is more expensive than a Nikon 65/f4

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bradley View Post
    I'm a rookie here so take this a large grain of salt.
    Assumption: The fall off is a function of the physics of the lens design and not unique to a specifc manufacturer. This means you can mix lens and CF as long as the threads match and the CF is designed for focal length and F stop of the lens.
    Based on that assumption I use a Rodenstock CF on my Schneider 75 mm SA. Seems to work fine. Still expensive though.

JGB
    I'm not sure about that, theoretically you might be right, technically you might be wrong. Although both the Schneider Super Angulon 65/f5.6 and the XL 58/f5.6 have the same 67mm filter attachment and same filter factor requirement, Schneider seems to recommend 2 different center filters, the III for the 65mm and the IIIb for the 58mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    A wide angle center filter is wider in front then in back to eliminate mecahnical vignetting and so you can still add another filter. The Marumi is not a wide angle design and you may get mechanical vignetting and you can not stack filters.
    It seems that both Schneider and Rodenstock agree on a 67-86mm size, the Marumi is only 82mm. I also don't know how neutral the Marumi is, we all know the issues with the Cokin P filters.

Ok probably not the best image for this and not very scientifically done .....but your starter for five

All are shot with the Nikon 65/F4 on Velvia 100 exposure was measured off the tree (it's sort of a mid grey tone ) using a Minolta Flash meter IV and a Sinar Booster 1 the one without a centre filter is 1/15 second F22.5 the ones with the Schnieder Centre Filter IIIa and the Hoya 67mm Centre filter are 1/8 second and F22 .. which is which....

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan_B View Post
    Funny enough the Rodenstock one is more expensive than a Nikon 65/f4.
    Currently Rodenstock makes two different 67mm center filters; one for the 35/45/55mm Apo Grandagons and one for the 75mm 4.5 and 90mm 6.8 Grandagons. The difference is the densities. The one for the Apo Grandagons has a factor of 2.5 while the other is 1.5. Also, Rodenstock did offer another density before it was discontinued for the far more neutral colored current ones above.

So there may be one listed on Ebay but you really want to know which one it is. Old or newer and Apo Grandagon or Grandagon version?

Oh don't leave us in suspense!

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Gray View Post

Ok probably not the best image for this and not very scientifically done .....but your starter for five

All are shot with the Nikon 65/F4 on Velvia 100 exposure was measured off the tree (it's sort of a mid grey tone ) using a Minolta Flash meter IV and a Sinar Booster 1 the one without a centre filter is 1/15 second F22.5 the ones with the Schnieder Centre Filter IIIa and the Hoya 67mm Centre filter are 1/8 second and F22 .. which is which....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Currently Rodenstock makes two different 67mm center filters; one for the 35/45/55mm Apo Grandagons and one for the 75mm 4.5 and 90mm 6.8 Grandagons. The difference is the densities. The one for the Apo Grandagons has a factor of 2.5 while the other is 1.5. Also, Rodenstock did offer another density before it was discontinued for the far more neutral colored current ones above.

So there may be one listed on Ebay but you really want to know which one it is. Old or newer and Apo Grandagon or Grandagon version?
    Problem solved....I managed to buy a Rodenstock 67/86mm 3x(1.5stops) from the classified section on this forum.