Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Should I shoot 120 and then transition to 4x5?

Re: Should I shoot 120 and then transition to 4x5?

What I think is funny at this point is that the OP said a couple times in later posts that he definitely plans to shoot both formats, ultimately.

The word transition means -- to most people -- "switch" not "in addition to". So, the original question he asked doesn't really apply to most of the advice being given, and it was poorly worded in that it did not express his true intent.

What this also highlights is how many people don't read the the entire thread before they respond.

Maybe this thread has run its course? (he said rhetorically for when this thread is dug up in two months)

I think I'll be doing large format first for the following reasons.

1. Easier to learn how to develop when it's one sheet at a time, not a full roll. I'd rather screw up one negative than a dozen.
    2. LF has the major benefit of perspective and focus control. Medium format lacks this.

Tilt-shift lenses cost well over a thousand dollars for 35mm which is why I won't be using one on my 5D II. They are still extremely expensive for Mamiya MF systems, leaving LF as the lone format that won't set me back four digits just to make a building straight. That is essentially the main reason I'm looking into large format. (I may continue with it for other reasons, too) I'll probably fill the gap later with a RB67 or RZ67 when I want something better than my 5D II but without the bulk of a 4x5. One day I'll include a Betterlight scan back..

MF/LF Newbie

Donīt shoot 120 to begin with. Your pics will not be tolerated here

I started off with a 35mm camera and then bought a Bronica ETRS with a waist level finder, one 120 back and 75mm lens. I went through heaps of film and then I saw photos that had been taken with a 4x5. That was it for me. I sold the Bronica and bought a 2nd hand Nagaoka with a 150mm Fujinon lens and was totally hooked. The slower pace and having to think about what I was doing made me take better photos. Then I got a 210mm lens, then a 90mm, then a 400 tele, then a brand new Shen Hao 4x5 and finally I took the big step up to 8x10 which I have not regretted for a second.
    Get the 120 and then decide if you like the idea of going bigger.
    Mike

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
    I happened upon the 5D II at an excellent price. Price is a concern for a 4x5 mainly because any money I had was spent on that camera.
    Well myself I have an x-wife and several hungry lawyers to feed. But over the course of 20+ years in MF and LF I've been able to amass quite a collection of MF/LF cameras, many lenses, film backs, and accessories. So much that on any one trip I simply can't carry it all without a full size van. And all simply as a hobby to keep me out of the bars and red-light districts on those long business trip evenings.

My advice after 68+ posts here in this thread is to fuhgedabouditall, go out and buy something within your budget that you think you will like, and get started. In another couple weeks you'll have another 60 suggestions of what to do and still no photos to show for it. In time you'll find that you have the same problem I have. Too much stuff and not enough muscle to carry it all. BG
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

ARS KC2UU

P.S. the attached one of my first 4x5 photos. A shot from a famous landmark in my hometown showing the twin towers way off in the distance to the east. No great shot of course. Done many years ago with a $50 auction investment that got me an Orbit 4x5 rail camera and several old lenses in the big box. Bargains can be had if one looks and is patient. Cheers. BG
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

...I might go to the dark side and pick up a Mamiya 645. One came up on Craigslist for $300 with 55mm, 80mm, and 150mm lenses. Apparently multiple film backs, too. Thankfully I'll have a large chunk of cash after Stampede, at which point I can pick up a 4x5, and decide what to do with the Mamiya.

Quote Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
    ...I might go to the dark side and pick up a Mamiya 645. One came up on Craigslist for $300 with 55mm, 80mm, and 150mm lenses. Apparently multiple film backs, too. Thankfully I'll have a large chunk of cash after Stampede, at which point I can pick up a 4x5, and decide what to do with the Mamiya.
    At 300 bucks, go for the 645 and hang on to it, the format is a nice format to have. I still use my Pentax 645 a lot. I almost dumped it at one point and very happy I did not.

Turns out it's better than expected. Another body is included that needs service, but that means there's pretty much double the equipment. Two prism finders, two power grips, three backs, a total of ten film inserts, etc. Also has a 110mm lens. I can't pass this one up.

Just picked up the lot. I could barely carry it home on the bus, I think people thought I was an apprentice carpenter or something. The 80mm lens turned out to be the f/1.9 version, pretty much making my week for me.