Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I shoot 120 and then transition to 4x5?

Octogenarian

Re: Should I shoot 120 and then transition to 4x5?

An outstanding pair of focal lengths for both architecture and portraiture for 4x5 is a 120 wide angle and a 210 long "normal".

An ideal three lens system for 4x5 is a 90 wide, 150 "normal", and a 210 long "normal".

Add a compact Nikon/Nikkor 300M or Fuji 300C, and you have a set of lenses that will cover almost anything a 4x5 camera is capable of shooting.

For affordability, look for previously owned Nikon/Nikkors or Calumet/Caltars.

Wow, Calgary has a pretty lame used large format scene. The Camera Store had an Omega View for some $700 and a Graphic View for $500. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
    Hmm, I think I'll start on 4x5. Reasons: Cheaper (Sort of), movements, higher IQ, bigger viewfinder.

Now what would be a good set of lenses (2 or 3, maybe, affordable ones) for architecture and portraiture?

watch the forum here. develop in trays in the dark.

there was a $75 monorail listed this week. most shuttered "studio" lenses are going cheap. check keh.com. a 150 -210 mm lens in a copal shutter can be found for 125-175$ pretty easily. film holders are cheap. done right you could be shooting for under 300$. $400 for sure.

defiantly go with 4x5.....8x10 really but we will wait on that idea....
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Downstairs

No males ever took this advice because photography has to do with nice gear.
    The cheapest way get in there is to contact print (under a sheet of glass and a fridge bulb and don't forget to mask the neg.).
    Going backwards: develop one sheet of film at a time in a single tray . Use HC110 because it is good for experiments.
    Make this darkroom effort worth while by shooting carefully - just one sheet of film at a time. A box of 50 will last you ages and works out cheaper than roll-film.
    Borrow a surplus 4x5 or 5x7 and a tripod (nobody will lend you an SLR but they all have an LF they are ashamed of).
    Don't spend a penny on gear until this works for you. Then when you do spend, you will save.

Christopher, you are wise in many ways.

I would not go to 120 as a 'transition' to 4X5.
    If 4X5 is your objective, begin there. Make your mistakes there where you can learn from them. Learn how to tray develop your film...Fred Picker is a good reference as is Ansel Adams.
    Steer clear of gadgets.
    After 40+ years as a photographer, that's the best advice I can give you.

Dave

-30-

ARS KC2UU

If this dude isn't totally baffled by now for what to do he must be superman. But very early in this thread he reported he's using a 5D II digital setup. Gotta be seriously invested already for those 21.1 mp images. Seems like cost really isn't a major concern. Sure wish I had that problem. BG
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

I happened upon the 5D II at an excellent price. Price is a concern for a 4x5 mainly because any money I had was spent on that camera.

There is a large format photography group in Calgary with a reasonably active news group. They meet once a month and do some group outings. At least you can obtain LF film locally at the Camerastore as well as chemicals and papers. Also you may wish to check out Photo World, they used to be on 10th or 11th SE but have moved further down to around 37th Ave, but you will need to bargain as their prices start very high.

Ivan three hours to the east of you in the 'Hat

I kind of agree with the lack of similarities btwn 120/220 and large format film. It can be processed the same, but the HOW is different.

My experience, started w/ 35mm played with 120 and a long hiatus jumped right into 4x5, now doing wholeplate, 8x10 and wetplate. Printing as well, traditional and alternative processes.

A suggestion for a first LF camera, look for a good version of a Speed Graphic, a version w/ the focal plane shutter. The focal plane shutter lets you use a barrel lens (older lenses w/out a built in shutter) but the camera will still accept lenses w/ copal shutters. In essence, a Speed is a really solid learner large format camrea. www.graflex.org is a great site that houses all kinds of info on this type of camera. IF you look further into a speed. definitely read the forum, and the other tech articles at the root of the website.

Welcome to the club, even if you dont have the camera yet, you have the disease.

Erick