Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: May Portraits

Re: May Portraits

Nice, Ken. Gotta love that 300 A, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by bensyverson View Post
    Nice, Ken. Gotta love that 300 A, am I right?
    You're right indeed - It's one of the future classics that somehow didn't get onto Kerry's list of Future Classics. I'm always grateful to the late Ted Harris for alerting me to it.

I'm having George Brown mount mine on a Sinar DB lens board, so that I can use it more comfortably. I rank Sinar DB Lens Boards up there with 2-Bath Pyrocat and Infra Red Viewing Devices. Once you use them, you don't want to go back. (You need a Sinar Shutter too)

I really don't know why people consider the Fujinon A line, as process lenses. True, they are f/9 like many Dialyte process lenses, but they have 6 elements, not just 4.

If you look at the cross-section on this brochure (again, courtesy of Kerry Thalmann), they more closely resemble Plasmat types. Perhaps they are simply f/9 Plasmats, (and thus small and light).

Ken, your site helped push me toward the A, so thank you! I suspect that you're right about them being essentially tiny Plasmats, not Dialyts... I'm sure they work work fine for process, but they were marketed as general purpose lenses, right? I would love to find a 360A someday.

To tie this in to the thread, I'll post an image with the 300A. If you click through and look at the 28MP "Original" size on flickr (you have to be logged in), you can see that there was a clear blue sky that day, the leaves are coming in on the trees outside, and there's a bowl on the windowsill of my studio. All reflected in Nick's eye! Sharp lens.

Nicholas O'Brien, May 2010

Although the 360A is 20% longer than a 300A, the asking price is more.

Speaking of helpful advice, it was Igor of Igor's Camera Exchange who recommended the Sinar Shutter to me.

By getting one, I was able to get a 360mm APO Nikkor. The shutter and lens together, still cost less than a 360 Fujinon A - if one were available. (In fact, my camera, sinar shutter, and that Nikor lens, are still probably cheaper than a 360A). The Nikkor probably has less coverage than the Fujinon and plasmats, but it offers plenty for 5x7 and 4x5.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 16-May-2010 at 02:59.

Yeah, I would need to find a might good deal on that 360A to even think about it! And 360 vs 300 might not be enough of a difference.

I suppose it's more likely that I'll cave in on a 450C

Ted Mishima

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
    What happened to the original May Portrait postings? This thread seems to have overwritten it.
    There was an explanation a little earlier: it got deleted by mistake, and would have been too time-consuming to restore. If you posted something in the original thread, you could re-post it now.
    Website - Linhof Technika, Schneider 90/5.6 Super-Angulon, 210/5.6 APO-Symmar

well, since the thread is again alive and kickin Ill get back with some of my images.I hope you enoy them as much as I enjoyed.
    technicalias: kodak ektar 127mm/Tmax100 4x5
    www.symbiosa.dphoto.com
    I am a lith printer

MF/LF Newbie

Iīm just glad that this portrait got posted again. Iīll repeat myself. This is the best portrait Iīve seen in years. Its a story all to itself. Apart from being astoundingly beautiful, it feeds the mind. I canīt help wondering what has happened to this pretty girl? What is she thinking? Who is she thinking of? Has she lost someone dear? I can keep going on like that for ages. Thatīs what elevates it to brilliant, not just bl@@dy good!

Yes, this image is damn good!
    The only thing that distracts me is her "moustache" ;-)
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs