Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SO Utah

Drew Wiley

Re: SO Utah

OK Adam, but I've also heard horror stories from some of my rock climbing/canyoneering friends about Panguitch. Maybe they just have certain xenophobic stereotypes about Calif people laying around palm-lined beaches and smoking pot etc. Actually, most of the climbing people I know are well-educated professionals, not potheads. I personally came from a cowboy and Indian town much smaller than Panguitch or Cedar City, and to say that city slickers were treated in a hostile manner would be an understatement. Things have changed, but now you've got meth freaks to worry about. I've been kidnapped once, and work with a fellow who
    escaped a kidnapping over there on the Colorado border after being held four days.
    Obviously I wouldn't discourage anyone from touring that area - in fact, I love Utah
    and hope I can go again this Fall. But one has to be aware of surroundings. Right around here you might be a tourist in SF and accidentally wander into a very dangerous neighborhood or fall off a beach cliff (happened twice last week). About ten years ago several female tourists disappeared from a motel just outside Yosemite, along with a female park ranger. For months the FBI accused local meth-heads, but then it turned out the motel maintenance employee was a recreational serial killer - a real Psycho/Bates Motel incident. And it is a pretty well known fact that some of those
    polygamous colonies are basically financed by white-collar crime, have their own goon
    squads, and are basically white-supremacist. Not unique to Utah by any means, but
    I would personally choose to get gas and supplies somewhere else when traveling.
    Just another road hazard. I always carry extra food, water, and blankets too. Getting
    caught in a snowstorm or breaking down in a car is a real risk. Probably most of us
    large-format types could each write a book about all the predicaments we've been
    in over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ...The last time I had all my gear rifled through and
    was told outright that Californians are unwelcome
    Tell'em to keep his chaw-pinchin banjo-pluckin fingers off your stuff 'cause you're late for your "Hillary in '16" strategy meeting. You need to be firm with rural law enforcement - they respect that. Don't let them push you around.

...Mike

Dude,

Its the Obama stickers.
    Scrape them off before you go back.

I never have a lick of trouble in Utah. Must be the 10 year old dusty pick-up truck. Modena is a semi ghost that's got some neat possibilities. UP water tank from steam days is still there and perhaps supplies the town with water. Beautiful old abandoned 2 story store building. Spooky looking backwoods yards full of junk, but no one hassled me when I set up the Ries and 8X10.

OK who hijacked my thread . This suppose to be polite conversation about places to photograph in So UTAH .Please if you have info I would love it dont fight or argue there is enough of that going on every else lets keep calm Thanx I appreciate everyone ideas of where to go I will heed everyone info thanx Craig

Drew Wiley

Hi Henry - had no bumper stickers. Was an older truck with some peeling paint,
    which I deliberately chose so it wouldn't look like I had expensive gear inside. And
    like I said, I'm from the backwoods myself, so know that it can be very dangerous
    to sass local law enforcement. For years I let the local constable run his cows in my
    pasture (saved me some fire control work with the weeds). In the opposite direction, over the next fence, were some infamous "white trash" types. Their shack
    was composed of about six different colors of tarpaper; daddy was in prison, along
    with the eldest and youngest sons, for very serious crimes. They were always
    screaming at each other and smashing chairs over one another, but didn't both us
    much because it's about a quarter mile away. The constable counted his cattle every
    day. The oldest son had just been paroled. One cow was missing. So the constable
    drove around the corner, and there was the hide hanging from a fencepost behind
    their shack, with his brand even showing. Seems like for all the ruckus some
    hillbillies can raise, they still can't pass Cattle Rustling 1A.

Confidently Agnostic!

I liked morning glory arch and the hike up Negro Bill canyon when I was there. Not sure if it's out of the way or not, but it's not as big of a draw as stuff in Arches NP, I'd imagine.
    Walter Ash
    Vancouver / Victoria BC
    http://ashphotography.ca

A previous post mentioned the Kolob area of Zion and I agree wholeheartedly with that recommendation. Very lightly visited and a wonderful area. You might also check out Cedar Breaks which is just east of Cedar City. Not sure how far you want to travel in the 8 days you have. I'm still a big fan of the Escalante area and the drive is a few hours from St. George. But it is easy to "get lost" in this area. Enjoy. Jim Becia

Drew Wiley

Negro Bill Canyon is indeed lovely, but way on the other side of the state near Moab.
    Below Kolob one can actually enter the canyon where Kolob Arch is, allegedly the world's longest, but way up by the rim. Best as an overnite backpack, but can be
    reached in a dayhike. A magnificent canyon which rivals the main Zion Park canyon,
    but with relatively few people and plenty of solitude. Some wonderful reflecting pools.
    You also have the North Creek canyon between Springdale and Kolob, up a small
    road which is interesting in itself.

I'm a big fan of Zion NP, I swung through last Monday on my way back to Vegas from Page AZ.

The construction hasn't started yet on the switchbacks before the tunnel so spend some time on the East side of the park if you can. Its also fairly close to Coral Pink dunes for Sunset shots. While your out that way you should try for a sunrise at Bryce at least once.

Have fun! I wish I could spend that much time out there right now.