Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SO Utah

Ron Miller

Re: SO Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Drew,

I believe it's called Boulder Mountain Pass on Highway 12 and it is open year round save a few temporary closures when it snows alot. I agree it is one of the great drives in southern Utah. One can spend a lifetime just on this road and the areas off of it. I was driving through there this winter on my way back to WI and the Escalante was covered by a foot of snow. Unfortunately, Calf Creek was closed up, but still ended up spending a few days shooting in the area. Jim
    Boulder Mountain Pass? You're talking Hells Backbone right?

Don't forget all the canyons and slots (done to death) along the Hole in the Rock Rd outside Escalante. Rt 12 and 24 are great both sunrise and sunset. Let me know if you cross Boulder Mountain and it is NOT snowing.

GD Whalen Photography

Damn, this post is thick with drama. There are crazies everywhere and there are nice people everywhere. Life isn't all vanilla ice cream.

I think you mean the Hogsback, not Hells Backbone?

How close to St. George? What are your main interests ?
    This time of year Tuweep and the Kanab point look off is a nice trip, but requires A high clearance vehicle. It can be made in one long day from St. George.

Modena,Lund,Grafton and Pipe Springs national monument for old buildings.
    Kolob terrace and Smith Mesa, North from Virgin give a different view of Zion.

Mike

OK, Boulder Mountain Pass is what goes over Boulder Mountain before you drop into Torrey as you head north on Hwy 12. The Hogsback is the ridge on the stretch of Hwy 12 that is between Calf Creek Falls and Boulder. Hells Backbone Road is a road the leaves the Hogsback section of Hwy 12 (going northwest) just before it drops back down into Boulder. It will take you all the way back into Escalante by looping back to the west. It has some incredible areas off of it and can usually done with a car when conditions are normal. Just before it gets back to Escalante (about 6 miles), there is a trailhead to an area called "the Box." It heads up Pine Creek or you can drop down from the top, about an 8 mile trip. I have only made it a couple of miles up as I kept stopping to photograph, but is a gorgeous area. There are all sorts of little canyons along this road. Just make sure that you don't trespass. It would be easy to spend a lifetime exploring the Escalante area. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    Boulder Mountain Pass? You're talking Hells Backbone right?

Don't forget all the canyons and slots (done to death) along the Hole in the Rock Rd outside Escalante. Rt 12 and 24 are great both sunrise and sunset. Let me know if you cross Boulder Mountain and it is NOT snowing.

I will be in ST George then move on to other sites lots of info here may take a yr to see all of it . But ahhhh thats why I asked thanx people you are wonderful

I forgot Cathedral Gorge State park by Panaca, Nevada. One of my favorite places to photograph.
    Mike

just got back could you believe I have all my notes set places that Mike talked about maps ideas everything DAMMMMMMM. let it all on the kitchen table including phone numbers and the like . So I took the route 12 and just winged it . found some really nice writings in ST george you walk right up to as long as you did not mind the strong wind and cliffs. thank you all for the help but old timers has found me and I am not happy will post some images soon Craig