Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fiberglas Darkroom Sink Question

fizwit

Re: Fiberglas Darkroom Sink Question

I second the vote for epoxy paint. Its much cheaper than fiberglass and the result is more attractive. I like to make my sinks with MDF. I carefully sand and fill the edges. I make very small Bondo fillets in the corners with a plastic putty knife. Then I finish with 3 coats of Expoxy paint. Don't think of it as sink so much as a counter top that's easy to clean when you spill stuff on it. And yes if you leave developer on it over night it will stain. But I can make a sink like this in 3 days for less than $60. (yes my darkroom walls are painted Mocha Brown. I live in Seattle -:)

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    The epoxy is extremely tough. The fiberglass adds strutural integrity to the wood frame. There are plenty of people on this list that will vouch for West System Epoxy.

Don
    I can't speak for the West System in sinks, but I used to have a 25' Piver Mariner trimaran that was literally held together by the West System. Even after years in the sun on Lake Michigan, it held up well. Some of the beams in that hull will probably last forever, as they were coated with multiple coats of West System epoxy with the carbon fibres added for strength.

--
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick Moore; 7-May-2010 at 14:40. Reason: Spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moore View Post
    I can't speak for the West System in sinks, but I used to have a 25' Piver Mariner trimaran that was literally held together by the West System. Even after years in the sun on Lake Michigan, it held up well. Some of the beams in that hull will probably last forever, as they were coated with multiple coats of West System epoxy with the carbon fibres added for strength.

I can believe it.

--
    Rick