Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightgear and Kelty System

Lightgear and Kelty System

Just thought you may be interested in some thoughts about this system. I should point out that I have no connection with either company, other than being a very satisfied cusomer.

When I first started taking my landscape photography seriously the problem of how to carry my camera gear was solved by buying various padded bags from my local supermarket, packing my camera gear in them, and dropping the whole lot into my trusty Karrimor expedition rucksack. This system performed brilliantly in all the key areas with the exception of access, as the rucksack was a top loader.

Then, in 2001, I bought a Lowepro Super Trekker. The problem of access was solved but lack of room for non-photo related gear was a problem. Over the years the Lowepro performed well, but the biggest problem was the harness system. I could never get it adjusted correctly and after only a few hours walking I would develop a dull ache in my shoulders and neck. The final straw came in 2008 when packing for a flight to Eire. I was shocked to find that the Lowepro weighed 5.5kg (12 pounds) empty!

On my return I started looking for an alternative, ‘though the first thing I did was go back to the Karrimor with padded bags. I’d forgotten just how comfortable this was but the problem of access remained. It was whilst looking around for a panel opening rucksack that I learned of the Kelty P2/RTP Lightgear system.

I won’t go into the system in great detail here (have a look at the website at http://www.photobackpacker.com) but in essence it’s an improved version of my Karrimor system i.e. padded bags for the individual items (from Lightgear) fitted into an expedition rucksack (Kelty). At the time of writing I’ve been using the system for 18 months and can honestly say that in all but one area the system is a huge improvement over other offerings on the market, including Lowepro. It’s infinitely more comfortable, the harness system being superbly designed, and the detailed instructions on how to tailor it were particularly helpful. I defy anyone to say that they never have aches after an extended spell carrying a heavy rucksack, but the Kelty has never become uncomfortable, even after 12 plus hours out in the landscape. There aren’t any pressure points or neck aches and the ‘sack sits comfortably on my hips without sagging or swinging.

The other key area well catered for by the Kelty is provision for carrying non-photographic items (clothing, food etc). The secondary compartment is large enough to carry most of this gear and is fitted out with plenty of compartments/pockets. I ordered the two side pockets and these are very spacious, and also have internal pockets. Additionally there are two mesh pockets in the back of the opening panel. As my gear doesn’t occupy the all the main compartment there’s always some space available in here as well. Overall, the capacity of the rucksack is more than adequate for extended spells out with a LF system.

Load sagging was always a problem with my Karrimor so I bought the Lightgear backboard for the Kelty. This velcro covered board is fitted inside the rucksack allowing you to fix the padded cases in place. One small gripe here is the method of attaching the backboard to the ‘sack interior. The means of doing this isn’t clear and there aren’t any specific fixings so a little ingenuity and dexterity is required. Maybe Kelty and Lightgear could get their heads together and arrange for some specific fixing details.

As for the Lightgear cases, they’re beautifully designed and made. A nice touch is having both Velcro and zipped fastenings, the former being more convenient for repeated access, the latter for final closure before heading off. The cases can be fitted with Velcro to the bottom (for fixing to the backboard) and/or the sides (for fixing to other cases). The camera case is tailored to suit your specific camera so there’s no slack space, and the multiple lens cases come complete with removable/adjustable padded dividers. Be careful though as the lens cases are very tight on the internal dimensions. For example, I couldn’t fit three lenses in the triple lens case if I used the dividers. (This was due to the size of my 90mm lens.) It’s not a serious problem but you may want to bear it in mind if you have some larger lenses.

Now for the major gripe. The first time I used the system in persistent rain I was dismayed to find that after only 30 minutes the rucksack was wet on the inside, with water already making headway into the cases. Out of habit I didn’t use the rain cover (I’d never used it with the Lowepro). Lesson learned I used the rain cover from then on, but even this has failed in persistent rain. In addition the external rain cover is not big enough to cover the side pockets. I’ve now fitted a zipped waterproof liner (actually a dry-cleaning suit case) which seems to work well.

The one positive point about the Lowepro is that it offered very good protection from the elements, even without using the rain cover. Perhaps Kelty could take a look at the materials/zips/covers that they use and offer something a little more weatherproof. This may add a little to the weight and/or price of the sack, but it’s worth exploring. Failing this a zipped, waterproof liner tailored to the ‘sack would be a good alternative.

Waterproofing aside, I’m more than happy with the Kelty/Lightgear combination. Its versatility allows the components to be easily configured, and allows quick and easy access to all my gear. At round 3kgs (6.5 pounds) empty it’s just over half the weight of the Lowepro offering, making it better for flights. The real star of the system though is the harness system, which is, quite simply, the best I’ve ever used.

Re: Lightgear and Kelty System

Interesting summary, thanks. I really agree with your point about the weight of dedicated photography backpacks such as the Lowepros (I have one but quit using it years ago). That's one of the reasons why I like my 8x10 f64 backpack - it weighs about half of what my Lowepro weighs and carries much more gear. It may not be as comfortable as the Kelty, I have no way to compare. And I know from sad experience that there's zero customer support from the company (never received a response to my various emails over the years, not sure they even still exist) but it's a nice, big backpack that serves my purposes at a very reasonable cost. Having said that, if I were starting out new I'd probably go with yours.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Steve, thanks for the review. I've recently (only last week!) taken delivery of one of these packs (P2). I've yet to use my new system in the field - but am looking forward to doing so.

After using an old top loading tramping pack for years you dont need to convince me of the superior comfort gained from using a proper harness system.

Thanks for the "heads-up" about potential water-proofing shortfalls. Given the pack is big enough for extended expeditions, this could be a real (and potentially dangerous) shortcoming in some climates.

I agree with your comments about attaching the backboard - it could be clearer. I ended up looping the centre tie-string around a fitting near the top-centre inside the pack. I'm still not sure what the tie-strings at the edges of the backboard are for - presumably they are used with different packs. My pack also has two velcro covered flaps inside the pack (at the top) that cover harness attachment points. I slipped the top of the backboard under these flaps and the velcro holds it in place nicely. It does mean that the metal harness attachment point is now sitting directly against the back of the backboard so I may need to keep an eye out for wear at that location.

I'd be interested in your comments about tripod attachment. Bruce's website shows a tripod lashed to the side of the pack. As I say, I've yet to use the pack but this does seem to be a recipe for imbalance and snagging in the bush. Has anyone experimented with alternative attachment points? or do you just carry the tripod in your hands? It seems something could be rigged up to hold the tripod vertically using the fittings on the back of the pack - although that may compromise the integrity of the rear pocket's contents (eg lunch ).

As noted, I've yet to use the pack in earnest but it seems well made and I dont anticipate any major difficulties.

Also props to Bruce. His communication and support has been exemplary.

Cheers

You're absolutely right; Bruce's customer care is excellent.

I have never carried my tripod on the rucksack, mainly for the reasons you mention. Putting it on the side or on the back throws the balance out, and it gets caught on branches, or knocked about. I've always thought that the best place for the tripod is down the centre of the rucksack as close as possible to your spine, and resting on your hips. This would mean a radical re-think of rucksack design (I've actually done some sketches! ), but current rucksack tripod-carrying systems are totally inadequate.

Just to chime in on the rain issue. When I orderd my pack from Bruce I spent the extra for the Granite Gear "Nimbus Access FZ" variation. The fabric on these is waterproof, and although the manufacturer says the seems can leak (and they make a rain cover for it). I have not encountered any leakage with my pack thus far hiking in light rain with medium to strong winds. Now the pack rear zippers do not open all the way to the bottom like on the Kelty's. But that very design helps protect the bottom when you set the pack down on a damp or wet surface. Its just a minor inconvenience when accessing my camera, which for me at least it is worth it for the water protection value it holds.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

About a month or so ago I ordered the light gear cases for my camera, and the multiple lens case. They are excellent. I did not order the P2 pack because I already have 4 different backpacks for camping, and 2 have fantastic harness systems. I still have yet to go out with these for photography, but I would bet the tripod issue could be a problem for me too. I may need to get a lighter more compact CF tripod for the purpose of trekking, that I can attach to the pack somehow.

Bruce was great too.

To carry the tripod just have a padded, adjustable, duffle bag strap sewn on a cheap but good quality folding chair bag ($9 -includes chair). The nice thing is you can easily take it off to move through tight spots in the brush. I also made a short quick release strap the holds the tripod bag strap to the top of the shoulder strap on my pack to stop the strap from chaffing my neck on long hikes. My old bag is shredded and when I make the next one a length of webbing will be sewn around the bag where the strap meets the bag to reinforce it.

My packs have adjustable straps towards the bottom outside, usually for a tent or sleeping pad. I will see if I can get the tripods to be secure there. If I am doing any overnight hiking though, it will be quite a full load and quite heavy with that tripod (berlebach).

I was recently in Central NY for a backpacking trip with my dad. The reason why I bought the light gear cases was in hopes to take my 4x5 along on our trip. By the time I got all the essentials loaded, I could fit my camera in, but not the lens case into my Gregory Forester pack. And I tried to strap the tripod on the bottom, and it wasn't quite snug, but I only half tried because I was giving up at that point knowing that I couldn't fit my lenses or film holders in the pack. I have decided that I need an even lighter tent, that more importantly takes up much less space inside my pack.

If I am just day hiking I would be fine, but we did 20 miles in 2 days (with our two dogs) and I just didn't have the room for the 4x5 gear. Part of me was relived a little so I can just focus on enjoying the hiking with my dad, but once we got to the 2nd day of hiking I was really wishing I had my camera. There were waterfalls and cascades around every bend, fern, moss, trillium, vinca minor and other wild flowers everywhere.
    Last edited by gnuyork; 6-May-2010 at 06:32.

Still Developing

Just a quicky - thanks to Steve for the review. I use a Kelty and use a lowepro roller insert within to hold my LF gear and lenses.. I use a small version and a colleague uses the larger version. This combination works niceley. I also strap the rucksack to the side and it works quite well. If you use the hip belt to take most of the weight of the rucksack, it doesn't unbalance the backpack.

Tim
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

I have the Kelty system and am totally enamored with it. Light weight and versatile. Side pouches I use for film holders, altho if raining I move to center and put other gear in the sides. It's easy to overload this pack but if you need the room this puppy will handle it. I carry my Gitzo CF tripod over my shoulders by putting the head right behind my head and two legs extending down in front of my chest.The third leg extends back behind me. It balances perfectly and is easily accessible from there.....
    Steve