Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap, sturdy tripod--construction tripod?

Re: Cheap, sturdy tripod--construction tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeiffer Duckett View Post
    There is also this.

I would also suggest a tiltall, they have a reputation for being tough and cheap!
    I use a tiltall for my Cambo SC, it works ok (rated at 13 lbs), but you have to be careful when using long extensions as you must balance the weight around the tripod clamp. Another situation where the tiltall is at its limits occurs when tilting up or down, you have to really tighten it or it will creep.

It's not the best solution, but I can assure you that it will hold it. I'm saving for a better tripod and leaving the tiltall for my nikons. For the value it can't be beat!
    Héctor Navarro Agraz

hacker extraordinaire

Well today I bought a 62" tall construction tripod for $60 out the door. It is surprisingly light, which was one of the things I was concerned about. I will disassemble it and paint the ugly orange to black or silver. Coupled with the Majestic gear head I got for free, I should end up with a complete and totally overkill tripod for 4x5 at a pretty cheap price.

I'm going to try to adapt the head onto it in such a way that I can mount the camera directly onto the tripod and bypass the head entirely if desired.

The head does pan around the top of the vertical tube.
    I guess you mean it's designed just to rotate on the 1.5" tube it clamps to? Because there is otherwise no provision on the tripod head itself for panning.

That's right. There is a collar on the tube to support the head at the right height - to prevent the tube from fouling the worm gear of the tilting mechanism.

I use an older Tilt-All for my Calumet CC-401, it handles the weight just fine. My 20 year old Slik was bowing under the weight, tho it handles my MF gear just fine. Gought the Tilt-All used for $50, of course, I had to do a little repair work right away(previous owner forgot to disclose a frozen lock knob and a leg that wouldn't stay extended, and a couple other maladies). But I'm real happy with it, does everything I need done.

I have a tilt-all. It's great. I got mine used on Ebay for $40. I now use a Berlebach, but I still have the tilt-all for back up (among others).