Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Isn't 4x5' too small?

Re: Isn't 4x5' too small?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtracker View Post
    New to LF, Happy with what I have, 4x5. A 5x7 is on the way but I doubt I will go for an 8x10 just out of cost probably. I do have some 8x10 sheet film, so, a pinhole camera for it might be in order and then contact print... I just hope I can resist when I see the negs from it - but resistance is futile, I know. Still, I feel lucky just to have a 4x5 and will be reworking the 5x7. Between those two, I have galaxies to explore.
    One word of advice: get 8x10 lenses, don't bother with 5x7 lenses. That way, if an 8x10 magically lands on your doorstep, you already have some lenses and don't need to spend almost a grand a piece on used ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    I just sold my 4x5 stuff after realising that 5x7 fits in the same bag (I have Sinar so just the back changes, and of course the holders). Also I don't have an enlarger and for contact print 5x7 and up is better than 4x5. The work and weight is pretty much the same between 4x5 and 5x7.
    a 5x7 contact print on an 8x10 paper is a thing of beauty.

I normally do 8x10 on 11x14/11x15 paper.

The only problem with that size is that is an orphan size for film. I don't think there is any color film sold in 5x7, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
    But Vincent, if your lusting for an 8x10 becomes an obsession, save up and get your kit. I think 8x10 works well if you have a bag that can carry it all, but most of all if shooting 8x10 makes you happy.
    Indeed, that's exactly what I plan to do. I will build up my lens kit accordingly (with enough coverage for 8x10)
    Follow me on Twitter or Flickr

I think we have all been arguing the wrong thing all along. Going back to the title and the original post, I think that 4x5 feet is plenty large enough.
    Website - Linhof Technika, Schneider 90/5.6 Super-Angulon, 210/5.6 APO-Symmar

Oops did I say feet? or is that the ' that means feet? like in 4x5'?
    Follow me on Twitter or Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    Hello Brian,,

I was wondering,,, how do you know that it's not the size,weight,and cost of 8x10 that makes you think differently..?
    Size certainly could have something to do with it. I mentioned the possibility that the large viewing screen could have been the cause. I don't think weight was a factor. Weight affected where I went so my options were reduced but within the area of use I could have made any type of photograph, I didn't seek out areas suited for wider angles. Cost wasn't a major consideration for me with 8x10. I bought used and relatively inexpensive gear, did only b&w, and processed and printed myself.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Malaud View Post
    Oops did I say feet? or is that the ' that means feet? like in 4x5'?
    Yep, ' = feet, and " = inches
    Website - Linhof Technika, Schneider 90/5.6 Super-Angulon, 210/5.6 APO-Symmar

Get an 8x10. You know you want one. Follow your instincts.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

I thought the same thing about 4x5 at first, so I bought an 8x10, the joy didnt last long, too much weight and bulk, enjoyed the contact prints but you can print an 8x10 with a 4x5 negative and there is hardly any difference between it and a contact print
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"