Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 edges less development with Jobo CPA2 and 3010 drum

4x5 edges less development with Jobo CPA2 and 3010 drum

I am getting an almost perfect 1/16" line of "lightness" (when positive) that practically mimics the natural borders of the film, most often only the long edge that runs perpendicular to the notch code. I have no idea how it is happening. I am using nice toyo film holders and developing in a Jobo 3010 expert drum on a CPA2 processor using reverse at one of the higher speeds. Anyone ever have this issue? Could it ever be some strange drying issue as I was using one of those gravity works film washers with the basket and the automatic fill and dump unit? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Re: 4x5 edges less development with Jobo CPA2 and 3010 drum

Why not wash in the Jobo, film is really fast to wash. See if that helps. Then reduce the speed of rotation to the lowest setting. See if that helps. By lightness do you mean blank, or just lighter?

It is only slightly lighter not even close to blank, but noticeable when printed even. They can be cropped out quite easily as they are only along the edge, but I would like to alleviate the issue all together. Does slowing the Jobo's rotation help in such an instance? Thanks.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Sounds like fog to me.

You should be using a speed setting of "4" when using the 3010Expert Drum but a different speed would only effect the overall develpment and woldn't cause the problem you are describing.

I actually should have said "an almost perfect 1/16" line of "DARKER" (when postive). So it most likely wasn't fog.

How sharp is the edge of the line?
    Is it on the same place, and on all negs?
    If so....
    I'm wondering if it's in the camera, like a shadow of the bellows, perhaps sagging a little,
    that would show most when using some lens rise.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Expose a sheet of film in your camera. Develop it in a tray with constant agitation. If the line isn't there, then it's your jobo, me thinks.

I've not seen that issue with my 3010 drums. Doesn't sound like a jobo issue to me. I use speed 4 as well. Is the film loaded with both long edges in between the raised ridges? Also, don't push the film down past the top of the drum. That's what jobo recommends.

It's strange because I always had great results with the drum spinning only in one direction on a motor base till I picked up my CPA2. Could the speed and reverse have anything to do with this? It is strange that it is along the long sides that are up against the ribs in the drum. Thanks thus far.

I wonder if putting film in the drum emulsion side against the drum, by mistake, could cause this.
    Can you post a pic of the negs?
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org