Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting to a World Without Quickloads

Re: Adjusting to a World Without Quickloads

I'm stocking up for hikes when weight matters, and shooting regular film holders when I don't have to carry things on my back. There are also Grafmatics, which save little weight but a lot of bulk over regular film holders.

But Robert Hughes certainly has a point. My favorite B&W emulsions have NEVER been available in packet film, so I figure I can do for color what I can do for B&W. And let's be honest - if you need to carry 10 pounds more, it isn't an issue if you lose ten of your own!

Cheers, Steve

as Steve said. just use the QL's when you have to save weight (travel, long hikes, etc.). also, a good investment is a Harrison changing bag. 4x5 holders are cheap so buy allot.

hacker extraordinaire

People have been using conventional film holders for practically centuries. It's not the end of the world imo...

I'd load in conventional film holders, but hedge your bets with a variation of #4, get your hands (beg, borrow, steal (not really...)) a Betterlight scan back and see if it fits with your sensibilities and aesthetic. Saves the whole stitiching issue and gives you real detail.

I'm trying to shoot regular holders when weight doesn't matter and keeping the QL/RL packets for hikes and travel. But then again, Its so darned convenient to have a mix of films available.

I'm also trying to stock up as much as I can afford.

I dreaded giving up readyloads because of dust problems, but once I committed to film holders, I managed to learn how to deal. They sure were nice for travelling, though, and I've still got a few boxes of TMX in the freezer.

To me this is a major loss. BUT the silver lining is since I end up carrying much less film, therefore I am more careful with what I shoot and save lots of dough.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

For those of us no longer doing conventional analog D/R printing, and especially not Ilfochrome, dust just isn't the issue going forward that it once was. For me the Quickload rationale has been convenience and getting film through TSA checkpoints without Xrays and just hand screening. I recently ordered some QL stocks to save this TSA use.

Because of Ektar, I've also been getting used to the workflow with Grafmatics. They're a bit more bother in a Photoflex Changing Room than they'd be in a proper darkroom but it's manageable. No dust problems.

Biggest gripe I've got with Grafmatics is if I'm sitting there with the darkslide pulled waiting for the peak of action or the sun to peek back out for an instant and it never does, I either waste a frame or have to remember what frame it was and to pull that septum aside during reloading. (Or else risk shuffling through the whole stack with good exposed frames that might get scratched or jammed or fogged).

Amazing people worried about having to load their own film, or people worried about it's to heavy to take a few extra film holders on a hike.
    Go to the gym or do some exercise daily to prepare yourself for hikes, you will be amazed how good you feel afterwards.
    If your worried about the weight, take a change bag it might take time to change the film on location, but it saves on weight.

Japan Exposures

I heard someone saying that they may bring back QL, haha, crazy isn't it? Mind you, there is no sign of discontinuation of QL in Japan, so rather than adjusting to a world without Quickload it may be adjusting to paying more for your Quickloads, which do you prefer?