Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Mechanical Shutter + Filters

Sinar Mechanical Shutter + Filters

So, I am the proud new owner of a mechanical Sinar shutter system (and whole 4x5 kit!) and I am looking into the possible filters that I may need in the near future. I am sick and tired of screw on filters, just because 77mm filters (of good quality) are rather expensive and I don't think any two of my lenses (large format or not...) use the same size, and I'm not a fan of the step down ring system. So these rule out thread mount filters and leave me with the behind the lens capabilities of the Sinar shutter.

I know that the shutter can take either 100/5mm circular filters (too expensive, and hard to come by), but it will also take 4x4 gel filters. I have two (multi-part) questions:

#1. How do gel filters affect image quality? Are they as good as glass filters? Does it vary with brand?

#2. Will the glass 4x4 Hitech filters fit on my shutter? Will they be too thick, or something else I'm not thinking of that would cause them to not fit? Does anyone have experience using the filter holder on the Sinar shutter?

Thanks!

Lachlan 717

Re: Sinar Mechanical Shutter + Filters

Alexander,

I would suggest that you do some research (on this site will be a good start) about the cons of mounting any filter behind the lens.

Also, be aware that many lenses have a different thread on the rear cell compared to the front cell (if you choose to go rear screw-on).

Third, make sure that you actually need every filter that you're thinking of mounting. Often people buy/want too many filters, especially for B&W work.

Finally, don't write off step UP rings if your wider lens has a smaller filter diameter. Stepping up can often help you to avoid filter vignetting on WA lenses.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I have used gels and polyesters on my sinar shutter for years with excellent results. The real joy - only one of each filter is needed. Another big advantage is mounting the filter behind the lens reduces the additional reflection that a filter my cause.

I built a 4x4 adapter using .032 aluminum and a series 9 retaining ring epoxied on. Works like a champ in the field, though as alluded to above, you want to recheck focus when using any filter behind the lens due to a focus shift approx. .3x the filter thickness.

The Sinar polariser/filter/shade holder has a 105 mm thread built in. The Lee 105 mm adapter screws right in, so you can use their whole 4x4 hood and filter holder system in front of the lens, swinging or sliding it out of the way when you need to.

I use step up rings on all my large format lenses. All my filters are 67mm and (luckily) my largerst LF lens has a 67mm thread. I have never had any problems even on my 90mm Super Angulon

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Goldapp View Post
    I have used gels and polyesters on my sinar shutter for years with excellent results. The real joy - only one of each filter is needed. Another big advantage is mounting the filter behind the lens reduces the additional reflection that a filter my cause.
    Glenn - What do you use to hold the filters ? I have a Sinar P, a Sinar shutter, and use a Sinar lens shade, which is just a small section of bellows that hangs out on a little hexagonal stick.

Back in the 1970's, I used gel filters. I just held them out in front of the lens. They never affected image quality. As has been pointed out, only one of each color is required.

I meant to reply to this a couple of weeks ago as I felt that the original answer didn't really answer any of the questions that were specific to the Sinar shutter.

As a picture paints a thousand words..... there seems to be some confusion about mounting filters on the shutter

You can mount one or two if you want to push your luck filters this way Sinar also make a plastic holder you can mount in the recess that will take 3 filters.

Amongst the arguments often mentioned against rear mounted filters is there use with ultra wide angles which pretty much doesn't apply as they are not very easy to use with the Sinar shutter.

The Sinar 100 filters were made by Format (hitech) and are thinner than most so these are the best bet to use.

As Struan has suggested the Swing out filter holder is an excellent accessory and if you have the gel snap with it you wouldn't need anything to do with the Lee system for single filters, if you want to mount multiple filters on a narrow field lens it's an excellent suggestion I shall go check if I have a 105 ring because otherwise I rarely use the Lee bits I have.

If I need lens shading I just use the bellows hood mask 1 on one of the rod clips.
    Last edited by Clive Gray; 8-Jun-2010 at 08:46. Reason: cause I can't speal like

Brilliant !

A picture is really worth 1000 words !

What is the size of those filters please ?

The 80A in the back of the shutter is a Sinar colour control filter from their 100 system, it's basically a 100mm x 100mm square resin filter approximately 1mm thick. Sinar no longer markets filters but when they did they were made for them by Forrnatt who still market them as their Hitech range

The shutter will also take thin circular filters that fit in the circular recess I have a few some where tht I can't track down at the moment.

I found my 105 Lee ring and as Struan says that can be used to adapt the swing out holder to use the Lee system,I expect I'll still use the Sinar gel snap holder for ultra wide angles though, the filter shown in that is a Hitech 100 x125mm ND grad.