Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost Art Threads

Lost Art Threads

Regarding tripod position, I agree with previous posters who decry the silliness of that as a measure of anything. Richard, try to give photographers you observe some credit for having some idea what they want. For my pictures of streetscepes, my tripod is almost always set at the same eye level. That is because I want the point of view of my pictures to be that of the person on the street, experiencing the surroundings. Most people don't lie on the sidewalk or stand on tall ladders to look at the buildings, so you certainly won't catch me shooting like that.

Lost Art Threads

Oops, that first sentence didn't make sense. I mean, decry the tripod criterion as silly.

Lost Art Threads

I agree completly with George,Katerine and Sandy. By the way, thank you Richard for coming down from on high to educate the common people and also for telling us about your assignments from "time" and "Newsweek" (earlier post)....zzzzzzzz and also letting us know who is worthy of your approval based on.....well not much really.

Lost Art Threads

oops, sorry Katharine

Lost Art Threads

Cartier-Bresson from the Introduction to "The Decisive Moment": The photographer's eye is perpetually evaluating. A photographer can bring coincidence of line simply by moving his head a fraction of a millimeter. He can modify perspectives by a slight bending of the knees. . . . There is a lot of talk about camera angles; but the only valid angles in existence are the angles of geometry of composition and not the ones fabricated by the photographer who falls flat on this stomach or performs other antics to procure his effects."

If you having been reading other's posts, Richard, you would find that many of those who contribute to this forum think. Really think. It is condescending of you to imply that we neither think nor make photographs thoughtfully. You should apologize to the group.

Although many people have technical questions, there has been a fair amount of discussion about pictures. Maybe you don't read the right items.

What impresses you about how people use their Linhof is exactly what would not impress me. Those who photograph only what they compose before they look through the viewfinder or at the ground glass tend to repeat themselves. I believe I've discussed this in a previous post.

"Compose a shot." Sounds like a photojournalist talking. "Shot"? What is that? I and some others make photographs and expose negatives; we don't "take" "shots."

I've never heard of a Canon EOS-1vHS. Since this is a large format discussion forum, I assume it is some kind of new large format camera that Canon is now making. I didn't know they were getting into large format.

Sorry to be so snide. I do not like to inject personal criticism into forums like this. It really doesn't belong. However, your comments and tone are way out of bounds and really, you should apologize.

Lost Art Threads

Richard, after reading the responses to your post I am amazed that a number of people feel that you should apologize. While I may or may not agree with what you have to say I feel that you have a right to say it without apology or need for permission to express it, especially in this forum. Pat

Stephen Vaughan

Lost Art Threads

An apology would be a sign that he too is able to think.

Suggesting, in bold capitals, that LF photographers do not THINK when making their work, and that he can provoke us to think, is both ARROGANT and SMUG. It should be clear to him, if he takes a moment to consider his words, that his attitude is not in the spirit of the forum.

This may sound like I am being superior too, but I simply want to point out, as others have, that this is an extremely positive and vibrant forum for those wishing to share knowledge and experience. Technical, philosophical and artistic.

Finally, I would just like to say that I have never met or spoken to a photographer, who uses a large-format camera to make pictures, who does it with convenience in mind. That is just absurd. All the people I know using LF, go to great lengths to produce work which is rich and deep, both in thought and quality of production.

It seems to me that by standing upside down, you have missed the point. I'm with Katherine and the rest, I'll buy my own beer.

Terence

Lost Art Threads

I, for one, preferred your two previous posts. Enjoyed them immensely, in fact as I do a little handheld 4x5 when I want a big neg and don't/can't carry a tripod. This post however, comes off a tad arrogant. Being thrifty (cheap, poor, what have you) my tripod is a little too short for me to comfortably focus, etc. Hence, I often shoot on bended knee, with a little knee pad made of closed cell foam bought at a gardening store (great invention as it gives my badly worn 28 year-old knees a waterproof/dirtproof refuge). My work is mediocre in comparison to many on this site, but I'm glad to hear I might get a beer out of it. Let me know if you'll be in the NYC/Hoboken area anytime soon. Most people who see me just think I'm praying to the camera, and they're half right. I'm actually praying for the 1-in-10 or 20 exposure I get right, and to remember to close the shutter, and to remember to remove the dark slide, and to replace the dark slide in the proper manner so I don't double expose.

Penitently, Terrance

Lost Art Threads

Constructive criticism is useful, arrogance is not...

Lost Art Threads

Richard,

I have a story for you. Every day on the way from work to the bus stop I walk by a whale bone (I think it is from the skull) and think boy would I like to get a picture of that. All winter long there has been a blanket of snow in the area. I finally took out my camera on Saturday. The light was beautiful but the snow was gone. What was left behind was a manhole cover and the edge of a parking lot. I circled the bones for about 20 minutes trying to frame a shot. I ended up taking two shots that I might be able to crop. I will know for sure when I get the results back at the end of the week.

Thanks for the post.

Ed