I will preface this by stating that I am not a pofessional; I photograph to please myself only. We all think when we get involved in this large format "thing". It just can not be avoided. Here are some of the things cluttering my brain when I go out to burn some film: 1. I think this is a good scene to photograph. 2. I think that spot over there is a better place to set up. 3. I think this is the right lens for the overall image I think I want at this aperture and that tilt. 4. I think this is the right use of nearby trees for framing. 5. I think I remembered to pull out the dark slide. (BIG ITEM for me). 6. I think this little spot on the groundglass will be Zone 3. 7. I think I will develop for this long with that chemical. 8. I think these 5 prints are garbage but THAT one is a keeper. (I am a ruthless critic of my own work). 9. Etc etc etc. I use an old ITE television camera tripod with no center column. Its minimum height is still pretty tall (about 4 feet), but it is super strong (good thing). Trading low height in favor of strength was a deliberate decision. I don't handhold, because a metal monorail is not very "user friendly" for that, and my main purpose in using large format is to get the sharpest, cleanest image I can. Hence the tripod. If I didn't care, I would use my 35mm handheld (I even use tripods for 35mm by the way). There is an awful lot of thought going on. So, if you're ever in California, buy me that beer, and I will politely listen and then do things my way. Now, if you really really really want to practice that "one critical shot" and use a lot of film failing, try bird photography. You never realize how fast they are until you try getting one on film - regardless of format. You'll be spewing curse words you never thought you knew in short order. What fun!