Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: historic photograph: real or fake?

Re: historic photograph: real or fake?

Quote Originally Posted by benrains View Post
    Well, I do think Kirk's point about it being staged may have some merit,
    There is absolutely no doubt it is staged - four cyclists on such a tiny track will have to do a perfectly synchronized show if they are not to crash into each other. FWIW, the track is even set up ON a stage! Of course, they might have suspended the cyclists for the picture, but technically they hardly needed to, some 15 years after Anschütz, and the repeat pose across the different pictures might just as well be due to the photographer being asked to catch a particular (prominent) cyclist in a particular position.

I don't think that the New York Times would bother making a fake photo of a stage show. What would be the motivation?

Bicyclists have been doing tricks on bicycles since the second wheel was invented and this one is not particularly difficult. It is on stage. It is lit by strong stage lights. It is a team of cyclists who presumably do this show time and time again so they probably are typically in the same order each time.

I don't see any reason to consider it a fake.

In the 3 shots they are not in just the same order, they are in identical positions (i.e. head turns, etc) in exactly the same positions on the track. Like 3 simultaneous exposures, which I suppose is not out of the question.

The first 3 pictures show 3 circling cyclists, the 4th guy is standing there on the bottom (waiting for the right moment to get to the circling him too? That's why they are looking at him?) Those are 3 different pictures, from 3 different angles. The fact that the cyclists are on more or less the same (but absolutely not identical!) places shows that there could be 3 cameras taking a quasi simultaneous picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kierstead View Post
    Like 3 simultaneous exposures, which I suppose is not out of the question.
    No. But if the exposure was triggered by a bike reaching a particular position, the effect might be quite the same - the cyclists will have performed their routine pretty exactly the same each time.

While it's not a fake, I believe the cyclists were stationary during the picture. They are almost upright. All they would need is a nail sticking out from the board(s) to prevent the tire(s) from sliding down. I believe you are assuming they are in motion. None of the riders are exerting any force to propel the bike. They are simply posing for the camera.

Board track racing was a popular spectator sport, so the theater setting was real.
    I think it was a promo pic, with riders stationary on the track.
    That had to be real scary to race on.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Well tonality sure doesn't look like 1900 to me- shadow detail seems too modern.

And what is the guy at 8:00 wearing??

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    It's certainly staged or a trick photo, as the spokes are visible all the way out to the rims, and they would certainly be blurred for the near rider on the left. You need some speed to stay up on a wall that steep. The rider on the near right looks to have his foot on the ground and is not moving. It's an odd photo for certain.
    That rider is actually on the ground and is stopped, hence the clear spokes. His position & expression, considering he's motionless, is kind of odd - he's either posing or considering how to join the others on the track The spokes on the others are not as clear and do look as though they might be moving. I agree that it is definitely odd.

Cool shot, but I don't believe that the riders' positions are consistent with pedaling at those angles.

Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    ...And what is the guy at 8:00 wearing??
    I think that's a Member's Only jacket, but I could be wrong.