Thanks to moderator Neil Poulsen, I'm soon to be awash in Omega DII/D2 parts, and will shortly have this old DII-VC warhorse up and ready for another 50 years of use. In the meantime, I scrounged up locally a pair of the later "P" type counterbalance springs to replace my old "D" type springs, one of which was totally wasted. Replacement "D" types seem to be much harder to find, probably because only the earlier Omega D models used them. Harry sells new stainless steel "D" type replacements for $55 each for the well-heeled (which would have been more than I paid for the enlarger, four lenses, three negative carriers, and a boatload of other stuff). "P" type springs, on the other hand, are fairly common, but their single screw configuration means the mounting has to be modified to make them work on the older D-type chassis. They are both 12 lb. clock-type springs.

Others have probably already invented this wheel, but just in case, here are a few step-by-step photos of the replacement mount I built (uploaded in two increments). Simple as dirt, works like a champ. The whole thing requires only a couple of 5-1/4" long pieces of 1/8" thick 1-1/4" aluminum angle from Home Depot, Lowe's, or Ace Hardware, a drill, and a couple of 1/4-20 bolts.

The spring hooks fit perfectly on the aluminum chassis "axles", and you can use either the upper or lower shaft to hook on to. I used the lower one to keep the angle of pull when the spring is retracted to a minimum.