Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

Re: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dahlgren View Post
    I think it is great that Chamonix has improved their cameras to the point that the only thing left to fix is the levels.

Com'on Jack, if that were the case, it would be a perfect camera with nothing to make better, no? You don't believe in that, do you? Not even an Arca Swiss is perfect...

Some other posters elsewhere commented on the poor wooden (even the metal) surface quality of the camera. That has its manufacturing logic too (don't want to go into that right now) and will be the cause of poor visual quality of used Chamonix cameras later... What looks great out of the shipping box can with use change quickly to a beaten dog. There will be a weak point of this camera. Not that it would make your pictures worse, of course. But again, you cannot have a cake and eat it. After all, a cheaper camera usually needs to show somewhere why it is cheaper, nothing unusual with that.
    Last edited by GPS; 17-Apr-2010 at 10:45.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Unlike you, I don't think that there's supposed to be a major problem with the Chamonix camera because of the levels. After all, if the levels are not satisfying you can always level the camera with an external bubble level. However amazing that can seem to you.
    From your previous posts:

"Are you sure they didn't replace on this model the less than satisfactory bubble levels from the N-1 version?"

"There were many reports on this forum from the Chamonix 45N-1 users speaking about serious problems with the bubble levels - everything from inconsistency in readings of the individual levels, the wrong viscosity in them (too slow to react), mechanical malfunctions (falling from the camera), the wrong construction altogether or even being dried out completely, etc. The problem with these bubble levels were well known to the manufacturer to that point that even Hugo wrote about it suggesting that perhaps they will be replaced."

From my only expression of opinion about the levels:

"The bubble levels are one of its best features . . . "

It's not surprising that you don't remember my posts but you should be able to remember your own.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    From my only expression of opinion about the levels:

"The bubble levels are one of its best features . . . "

It's not surprising that you don't remember my posts but you should be able to remember your own.
    Brian,
    you obviously don't remember your own posts. The above expression of your opinion about the levels was not the only one...
    Remember the following one, at which I reacted?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    ...Yet Chamonix puts bubble levels all over their $800 camera and there's supposed to be a major problem with the camera because the levels might be half a degree off or whatever the problem with them is supposed to be. Amazing.
    Surprising you don't remember your own posts even when others cite it...
    Yawn, can we put the levels to sleep now...

Gotta say this is out of control. So far, 91 total posts on this thread; 16 by the OP (incl. parts of the "same post"); 25 of the 91 by the illustrious GPS, contributing little other than tossing grenades.
    I had not thought Chamonix users should form a group at google groups, but it is obviously not possible to have a educational, collegial discussion on anything Chamonix-related on the site. I'm going to the google site, and not going to read anything Chamonix-related here, since one jihadist can so dominate and take over threads which otherwise would have value.
    This is sad, because this site could offer a lot, but it's just not worth the hassle any more.

Look Rick, if I say something which is against rules of the forum, say what it is. If not, and you don't like what I say, go wherever you like to take a break. Like it or not, everyone has the same right to say what he wants and discuss it as long as he wants. Who are you to count my posts and say they are too many, Mr. Calculator?

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Brian,
    you obviously don't remember your own posts. The above expression of your opinion about the levels was not the only one...
    Remember the following one, at which I reacted?

Surprising you don't remember your own posts even when others cite it...
    Yawn, can we put the levels to sleep now...
    I remember my posts just fine. You see an opinion in the statement that Chamonix puts levels all over their $800 camera? I don't. I see a statement of fact.

I'm not only going to put the levels to sleep, I'm going to pay attention to Rick's excellent post and ignore you in the future. I'm frankly ashamed that I let myself get dragged down to your level.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by SW Rick View Post
    Gotta say this is out of control. So far, 91 total posts on this thread; 16 by the OP (incl. parts of the "same post"); 25 of the 91 by the illustrious GPS, contributing little other than tossing grenades.
    I had not thought Chamonix users should form a group at google groups, but it is obviously not possible to have a educational, collegial discussion on anything Chamonix-related on the site. I'm going to the google site, and not going to read anything Chamonix-related here, since one jihadist can so dominate and take over threads which otherwise would have value.
    This is sad, because this site could offer a lot, but it's just not worth the hassle any more.
    Rick,
    I am disappointed that the thread took the direction it did. I posted references to the review on several other places on the Web and if you Google "Chamonix camera review", this thread comes up at the top of the list. I appreciate all of the users' comments including those regarding past issues with the first generation camera. I would have better appreciated, however, that any protracted criticism be based on actual experience with the current generation camera. That is, after all, the version that was reviewed.

As it is, I feel that the thread may reflect badly on this forum. Sort of a shame really...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrot View Post
    ...I feel that the thread may reflect badly on this forum. Sort of a shame really...
    Steve, it doesn't reflect badly on this forum or you. You wrote a great review. I'm glad it's here. Please stick with us.

SW Rick -- it is possible to have an educated, rational discussion on Chamonix-related items here. Just make use of the tools vBulletin provides and that which troubles you will disappear. There's no better place for LF photography discussion.

Brian Ellis -- please don't quote (and I suggest you ignore) trolls. Thanks!

Maybe the best course is to not respond to posts that you know or feel are just going to lead to a heated exchange between two or more individuals. But more importantly, I think we just need to stay on topic.

I believe the saying is: "Don't feed the trolls."

Unfortunately, it is in the nature of forums to allow anonymity. But there are those who will abuse this and probably enjoy inciting argument.

Sooner or later, because of events that have occured on the internet and on social networking sites in particular, e.g. cyber-bullying, anonymity may become a thing of the past. If you are required to use your real identity, you're less likely to put yourself in a position of being traced and held responsible for what you have said in a post.

Maybe the moderators need to be more vigilant. I don't know.

But I have to agree with Sal, this should be a place where educated, rational discussion should occur. After all, that's the reason we joined this forum in the first place: to learn, share and discuss; exchange ideas and knowledge. I don't believe any of us joined this or any other forum to incite irrational argument, or pick a verbal battle with someone we can't see and probably don't even know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Steve, it doesn't reflect badly on this forum or you. You wrote a great review. I'm glad it's here. Please stick with us...
    No problem. I ain't goin' nowhere. I've got too much to learn

Steve