Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Expensive Lenses and Soul Searching

Re: Expensive Lenses and Soul Searching

Oh yeah, that's the other aspect of GAS; we believe that if I just get a new _____, my _____ will be better.

You see Richard, as soon as you say "I bought a lens for $$$$" you will have a bunch of people saying - I wonder if it's worth it... Better to buy film... What a silly waste of money... one can also take good pictures with cheap lenses... etc.
    You bought a lens that none other can replace for your purpose - let the bunch without it sing their songs, you take your pictures...

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerik Kouklis View Post
    OK, no more cameras or lenses until you use up $10,000 worth of film and paper.
    What's f-f-f i l m?!?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    You see Richard, as soon as you say "I bought a lens for $$$$" you will have a bunch of people saying - I wonder if it's worth it... Better to buy film... What a silly waste of money... one can also take good pictures with cheap lenses... etc.
    You bought a lens that none other can replace for your purpose - let the bunch without it sing their songs, you take your pictures...
    I REALLY like the way you think, GPS!!!

And in a funny way I think the lens in question has rejuvenated me. I've been *out every day the past few days... People do seem to stop and stare when one whips out the big one! Yesterday must have been the 10th time I've been asked - is that a Hasselblad? Ans. Not for me and my name is not Blad!

*yes with camera, yes taking pictures...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

is that a Hasselblad? Ans. Not for me and my name is not Blad!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post

And in a funny way I think the lens in question has rejuvenated me. ...
    How true! I know that, I still remember (each time I take that lens) when I bought my Nikon 800mm - the whole landscape around me was suddenly asking for a picture, here and there, and I felt like Alice in wonderland...

Zebra

Over the last four years I have bought two lenses that are somewhat unique for the 20 x 24 format. The 550 XXL that has been mentioned by Richard/Sandy and a Dallmeyer 8D Petzval that will cover a plate much bigger than even the 20 x 24. I'm happy to own both and for me they have been great tools to use with the format. I still don't know the Dallmeyer that well as it was a christmas purchase this year. I sold/will sell this summer quite a few of the 300-900 dollar lenses I had for other formats to help pay for the two special (at least to me) lenses as neither was in the same zip code as cheap. It will leave me with four lenses (the other two being much cheaper lenses) for the 20 x 24 and three lenses combined for the 10 x 12 and 7 x 17. By selling off the less expensive lenses, at least in comparison, that I had accumulated over a long period of time and wasn't using made the prices of the two special lenses more acceptable and what I am left with is a group of lenses that I enjoy working with that have different characteristics and give markedly different results.

Now if I could just purchase vision, talent, and time to practice I might one day make a single solitary dime off this crazy pursuit.

never say whoa in a boghole,

Monty

Don Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    Over the last four years I have bought two lenses that are somewhat unique for the 20 x 24 format. The 550 XXL that has been mentioned by Richard/Sandy and a Dallmeyer 8D Petzval that will cover a plate much bigger than even the 20 x 24. I'm happy to own both and for me they have been great tools to use with the format. I still don't know the Dallmeyer that well as it was a christmas purchase this year. I sold/will sell this summer quite a few of the 300-900 dollar lenses I had for other formats to help pay for the two special (at least to me) lenses as neither was in the same zip code as cheap. It will leave me with four lenses (the other two being much cheaper lenses) for the 20 x 24 and three lenses combined for the 10 x 12 and 7 x 17. By selling off the less expensive lenses, at least in comparison, that I had accumulated over a long period of time and wasn't using made the prices of the two special lenses more acceptable and what I am left with is a group of lenses that I enjoy working with that have different characteristics and give markedly different results.

Now if I could just purchase vision, talent, and time to practice I might one day make a single solitary dime off this crazy pursuit.

never say whoa in a boghole,

Monty
    Monty
    Don't quit now -- if your camera has the bellows, take a look at the 1100 XXL. It's just what you need to round out the collection ;-)
    Congrats on the 8D -that's a nice one. I wondered who had ponied up on this one.
    Don

It's cheaper than a psychiatrist,
    Thad one ist very good Ken

I'm just completed find the magic bullet syndrom without any psychiatrist and I'm doing fine now!
    I only buyed two lenses around the last year booth for my digital DSLR!
    A Nikon 70-300 VR II and Nikon 24-70 f 2.8 zoomlenses!
    I have already to much LF lenses and I'm only selling some of them, but can't deside which one;--))))

Cheers Armin

It's cheaper than a psychiatrist,
    Thad one ist very good Ken

I'm just completed find the magic bullet syndrom without any psychiatrist and I'm doing fine now!
    I only buyed two lenses around the last year booth for my digital DSLR!
    A Nikon 70-300 VR II and Nikon 24-70 f 2.8 zoomlenses!
    I have already to much LF lenses and I'm only selling some of them, but can't deside which one;--))))

Cheers Armin