Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice Request- Upgrading to a Mac

Advice Request- Upgrading to a Mac

Im interested in some guidance related to my impending exit from using a PC and getting a Mac Pro to do my Photoshop work and printing with. I havent upgraded since Photoshop CS and have been operating this software and a Epson 9600 printer using a Dell workstation with dual Xeon Processors (6 year old technology). I typically use the West Coast Imaging workflow for large files (dodging and burning layers derived from a duplicate layer that is a much smaller size file format and then reintroducing/overlaying the large master file when I have adjustments that I am happy with). My images are all 16 bit drum scans with original files sizes of approx 500 MB to 1 GB depending on if I am using a 4x5 or 4x10 transparency as the original. I also do some digital SLR work when location or subject matter dictates that the LF equipment isnt prudent. My questions are as follows:

What Mac Pro configuration will be best for processing the images mentioned above, likely using Photoshop CS5 and possibly Lightroom (to help reduce the SLR workflow). By configuration, Im thinking processor speed (is there a point where the money for extra speed doesnt make sense?), RAM needs (how much is needed to do the scenario above?), scratch disk needs (is there a number that is optimal and is anything greater than the ~640 GB disk really necessary?), graphics card needs (if any?? for running a 30" Mac Screen for pic processing-Im not a gamer).

I built a system on Apples website maxing out the speed, incorporating 12 GB RAM and putting a 2TB hard drive in the unit with 3x 640GB scratch disks and came out at over $7K (without monitor) which exceeds my budget by a couple grand so Im wondering where to make the cuts or if I need to just save some more money to get it right.

All input appreciated- thanks E

Re: Advice Request- Upgrading to a Mac

New MacPros are expected soon:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

You can expect prices on the current models to drop. Getting the latest and greatest is nice, but you would have to wait to buy third-party RAM (E.G.: http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.aspx )

This is a very useful site for optimizing performance:

http://macperformanceguide.com/Optim...hop-Intro.html

I used this site to set up a MAC Mini for Photoshop use; using the same workflow you describe, I'm quite happy. I have 4GB of RAM and I scratch to a external drive via FW 800 partitioned in RAID 0. I'm not suggesting you do the same, I'm just pointing out that there is plenty of room to dial down the specs from the $7000 system you have in mind.

Once CS5 has been released I would suggest calling Adobe to request a platform change - the price is roughly that of a CS4 to CS5 upgrade. I switched from PS 5.5 for PC to PS CS2 for MAC for about $150. They will ask you to destroy your PC disk.

I bought a Mac Pro last year. I'd offer two pieces of advice on cost:

- Buy a refurb. From apple, they come with regular warranty,etc and can shave off a good chunk of money.
    - Buy RAM elsewhere. I put in 16 GB, and save myself hundreds of dollars.

On what to buy; for PS/LR, you can't go wrong with more RAM. A seperate scratch disk is good, but is very easy to install at anytime (the Mac Pro's pop open and swap drives very nicely), and 1TB is only $100 or so. Where you will get hit hard, money wise, it typically the second processor (not core, processor). Whether you want to lay out for it is a good question. PS and LR won't get *that* much help from more processors, but should get some for certain operations. They do tend to be I/O bound though.

Now I get my popcorn out

Hi Eric,

Few points to consider:

1. Do not buy extra RAM and/or HD from Apple. Get them from third party sources and you'll save a bundle.

2. Get the most RAM you can afford - it will provide you much more visible performance boost than any other single upgrade including the CPU.

3. Ditto for HD

4. Look for the "sweet spot" - usually there is a point where the jump in price becomes disproportionately high compared to jump in numbers. This applies to RAM, HD and CPU numbers alike and is relatively easy to spot. The "sweet spot" is the point just before that jump occurs.

Following this, I priced a barebones Mac Pro - Quad Core 2.93 GHz with 3GB RAM, 640 GB HD and base video card - and it came out to $3599.

To this, you would need to add:

1. RAM
    2. HD
    3. Monitor
    4. RAID card

If I understand you right, this would leave about $1500-$2000 for all of it. I don't think it will be enough for all you want, but you could start with the compromise and then keep upgrading as you go. Use the list in this order.

OR, you could get the maxed-out 27" iMac for less than $3000. Still quad-core (i7 CPU), pretty decent muscle for the money, but with greatly reduced options.

You can do your own RAM and that's pretty much it. Any extra disk has to be external, USB 2 or FW 800. Monitor and video card come built in, no choice there and no need for it IMO.

27" 2.8GHz i7 2TB HD 4GB RAM = $2449

Add 4GB of RAM in two sticks (four slots total, two taken already) for about $100 or replace all four with 4GB sticks (price your own). Third party, of course.

I am looking to upgrade myself these days and I've been looking at these options very carefully. In the end, I think I will go with the iMac, because the price differential is simply to great for me to justify the properly configured Mac Pro system. If I were doing video, it would've been a whole different game, though, but I don't.

Hope this helps.

Marko

I went the MacPro 8 core route in late 2009 and am happy with Photoshop performance on my machine. It is probably overkill for what I use it for since I do not use it for video work at all, but I like the upgrade options and could "almost" afford it at the time. Like everyone has suggested, I bought it with just the basic RAM and hard drive, then upgraded with third party RAM and shopped for hard drive savings. I set the MacPro up with a Raid Stripe on partitions across three hard drives for a Photoshop Scratch volume. Operating System and program files are on separate drive.

I just looked at MacMall and see that they have some specials running right now. One looks like the same 2.93GHz MacPro Marko priced at $3599 for $2994. http://www.macmall.com/n/macNavLinks-macNavLinks.225

The 8 core 2.26GHz is $75 more than the Quad-Core 2.93.

The price of a MacPro 2.93GHz @ $2994 +16GB RAM upgrade $597 at OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/ and 3 additional 1TB internal hard drives for about $100 each would put the total at +- $3900. You could go with a software RAID set up on partitions on internal drives as described on the Mac Performance Guide site http://macperformanceguide.com/Optim...ml#StripedRAID as an alternative to hardware Raid which is expensive in comparison. Software RAID is free if you have hard drives to use.

Just some more options...

Ben

Photoshop is essentially the same on both platforms. Why switch?

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THIS OUT
    I was going to upgrade my copy of Photoshop when I did the Mac switch... I called Adobe and said I want to "upgrade" and switch platforms... they said "no". Upgrade is to SAME platform. Switch and you have to buy a full new copy of photoshop for that platform.
    I stayed with the PC. and now with CS4 and Vista 64 (which addresses 32GB of RAM!), I am a happy camper.

oh and did I mention the new Intel i7 chip blows away anything MAC????

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheis View Post
    oh and did I mention the new Intel i7 chip blows away anything MAC????
    What was wrong with the old i7 chip that Apple uses?

--Darin

At the prices mentioned here I hope you get one fantastic computer. I'm not trying to get into a Mac-PC argument, I'm sure you have good reasons for changing brands and I know Mac people love their computers. But my $1,100 8 gig quad core PC flies with Photoshop and has yet to give me a problem.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.