Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Schneider 550 Lens and Caps; Effect on Coating

Re: Schneider 550 Lens and Caps; Effect on Coating

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Why don't you just put an empty filter ring on it for some safety spacing?
    Isn't the diameter of that lens huge? I would think that even a junk filter of that size would cost as much as one SK Grimes lens cap.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by civich View Post
    "My head is spinning! I now have a second epiphany"

Jeez! Richard - just enjoy the damned thing! The rest of us, even the sour-pusses, would love to be in you shoes. And for what it's worth; I think Frank had the most practical suggestion for protecting that beauty.
    LOL Sorry, you're absolutely right! It's just that I'm giddy with enjoyment! I've been wanting this lens for a while! I'll be quiet now.....
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Zebra

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Monty,

I am the person that advised Richard of a potential problem with the screw on caps that came with the lens. My experience with the lens is that the caps can easily get so tight on the lens that it is impossible to unscrew them. In fact, it was my disgust at having the camera set up to take a negative and pulling the lens out and being unable to use it because I could not unscrew the caps that made me receptive to selling it. And this was not the first time it happened. This was such a problem for me that I just assumed all owners of the 550 XXL must be experiencing the same thing.

Also, I would be concerned that in taking the cap off one could accidentally drop the cap on the glass, which might cause some damage.

My advice, which is probably not worth as much as yours, is that Richard fit the lens with some kind of soft protective caps and store the big metal ones until he gets tired of the lens and decides to pass it on to someone else.

Sandy King

Sandy,

Wow, that is interesting. No I haven't had that problem, to be honest not even once. Of course now that I know it's possible I'm assuming that it will happen the next time I go out. It's funny I can get pretty absent minded and I am not overly sensitive to gear etc, but for whatever reason knowing I can never afford another one has me acting like I am on a high wire act when I get this lens out to use with the big camera. Although I haven't had the seizure problem that you encountered I do agree that one of my biggest concerns is the weight of the lenscap when it is being removed with the possibility of it hitting the elements. That is what is most concerning to me. I always try to remove the metal caps with the element facing out as though it were taking a picture that way if they do fall they fall away from the elements not down onto the elements. So far my diligence has paid off but I'm with you on the program of worrying about it. Banging this thing around is not really an option at these prices. Thanks for the insight on the seizing up and if I encounter it I'll repost or contact you Sandy to get suggestions.

For me the beauty of this lens as you mentioned earlier is the contrast that it provides for the Pt/Pd work along with it coverage all in a Copal #3. It is my only lens that covers the 20 x 24 that I have in a shutter. All the other lenses I use a Packard for when I need a shutter. The Dallmeyer 8D is its own beast and right now is only a wet plate lens due to not having a front mounted packard. That'll be a while as I (read my wife too) am saturated at purchasing any more photo gear right now--especially in regards to my schedule or lack thereof in regards to producing negatives I'm proud of.

thanks for the heads up,

monty

Hey Canon sells a clear 125mm filter, you could knock out the glass and have a spacer no problem.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ss_Filter.html

Only $824.95

Don Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Monty,

I am the person that advised Richard of a potential problem with the screw on caps that came with the lens. My experience with the lens is that the caps can easily get so tight on the lens that it is impossible to unscrew them. In fact, it was my disgust at having the camera set up to take a negative and pulling the lens out and being unable to use it because I could not unscrew the caps that made me receptive to selling it. And this was not the first time it happened. This was such a problem for me that I just assumed all owners of the 550 XXL must be experiencing the same thing.

Also, I would be concerned that in taking the cap off one could accidentally drop the cap on the glass, which might cause some damage.

My advice, which is probably not worth as much as yours, is that Richard fit the lens with some kind of soft protective caps and store the big metal ones until he gets tired of the lens and decides to pass it on to someone else.

Sandy King

I've used Neolube on the threads of the metal caps of the XXL for four years now -- the compound bonds near-permanently to the threads and provides a dry lubrication that does"move" nor flake off nor turn to dust nor come off at all -- you'll have to rub it very hard to see any change... its very hard to remove. You won't hear the aluminum on aluminum sounds that any threads make and you won't see any wear.. And you'll never have a threaded metal lens cap that sticks in the lens...

I've never thought for a moment about dropping the filter onto the element, but that's because I take the filters off holding the lens in normal position - any drop and the metal lens cap just falls 3-4 inches into the pelican case that the 1100 and 550 are kept in.

For those doubters about Neolube -- I used this on the rear element threads of the Nikon 600-800-1200 set since 1992 with no issues and no longer do you hear the aluminum-on-aluminum sound when you change the rear elements. In fact its never had to be replaced. I use it on all my 135mm and 105mm Heliopan filter threads as well, and on sets of Heliopan stepup rings. (I had SK Grimes make a stepup ring for the 550 to the 135mm filter set so you don't have to look for the uncommon 122mm filter size)

Neolube is applied with a 0000 brush on the threads of the cap. Its alcohol based collodial graphite with a bonding agent, and dries permanently within a few seconds. If you can't find the liquid form at your auto parts store, see the website www.p-b-l.com or micro-tools

I have no affilition with Neolube manufacturer nor with P-B-L nor micro-tools.

Also, Richard, the way to get to the edge of the circle is to use indirect displacement. The Arca 8x10 bellows won't allow this, but the Canham 12x20 will permit it. (I don't know which 8x20 ). Its much easier for Sandy with his 20x24. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Hey Canon sells a clear 125mm filter, you could knock out the glass and have a spacer no problem.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ss_Filter.html

Only $824.95
    What the heck? Doesn't he already have a nice metal screw in cap for his lens? Let it bite the lens and then cut the bottom of it and he'll have a nice spacer no problem... (Richard, this advice is worth $824.95 so forget your Sushi bar this time...)

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    No kidding? Are you sure even without testing?? You like living dangerously, don't you..?
    When they brought these two lenses out, Schneider reps brought them to a few conferences and shows and their pride was evident. As far as testing, I'm too old to waste that time. I make negatives and prints, can pretty much afford to throw some paper away and I let the final object decide things for me. I have friends who test, test, test, test, test and then test the tests. They never have any photographs to show!! I still want one of these lenses!!..Evan Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    I have friends who test, test, test, test, test and then test the tests. They never have any photographs to show!! I still want one of these lenses!!..Evan Clarke
    But of course!

Cool Re: Schneider 550 Lens and Caps; Effect on Coating

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    I recommend lens caps from S. K. Grimes.

When I bought an SSXL 150 I set it on a shelf (front element down) for a week or so. The next time I looked at the lens there was an imprint of the lens cap serial number from the inside of the cap on the front element. The imprint was some sort of oil or silicon residue from the lens cap and cleaned up perfectly. No damage done. Yet. This told me the weight of the lens was enough to deform the lens cap to the point where it would contact the front element. I ordered good lens caps immediately. I put that lens back on the shelf (on its side) and didn't touch it again until my S. K. Grimes lens caps arrived.

Your 550 XXL is a very expensive lens. If you value it, get the S. K. Grimes caps and don't look back.
    The caps that came with my 150 SS-XL have a bit of velvet (or whatever it is) at the center. As far as I know, this is the normal manufacturer's cap for these lenses. I bought it new.

Diane

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    What the heck? Doesn't he already have a nice metal screw in cap for his lens? Let it bite the lens and then cut the bottom of it and he'll have a nice spacer no problem... (Richard, this advice is worth $824.95 so forget your Sushi bar this time...)
    WOW!! If I knew your advice was this expensive, I wouldn't keep taking it!!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain