Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Industry

Re: Industry

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    Semi-Trailer and Recirculation Tank, Portland
    Austin,

The last time I went out and took photos in some industrial areas north of Portland (years ago now), I was either stared down or outright hassled by security personnel. Has this happened to you? I ask because my encounters with gruff guards have made me shy about taking my big camera and tripod out for this sort of photo opportunity.

Jonathan

The photo above was under the East side of the Fremont Bridge. I've never had any trouble there, and actually it was a shop worker that told me it was a recirculation tank which I didn't know. I have, however, been kicked out of the train yards near there, though I have to say, they were pretty nice about it. My strategy for these kind of places is to set up my camera beforehand and carry it over my shoulder. Obviously you can be faster that way, but it also helps in that when security shows up, they know right away what you're doing and it puts them more at ease. Plus, I think that most people have a soft spot for view cameras, so that helps.

Those train yards--especially that illuminated Union Pacific obelisk that sticks up in the middle--are on my short list of subjects to go shoot, but I'm not sure what the best vantage point is. Getting in there is not going to happen, I don't think, given how aggressive train cops are about photographers, but I'm hoping to be able to shoot down into the yards at dusk one of these days.

Jonathan

Don't mention the obelisk! I managed to make what I think was a pretty good picture of it just before getting kicked out, only to later discover that I had double exposed it with another picture from the yard. Two hard won photos ruined in a single mistake! Arghhh. Now I'm afraid to go back in case they recognize me. So it's up to you Jonathan. I'd say you have 5-10 minutes to work with so be ready!

That might be just the challenge I need to get me out of the house and down to the train yard. Obelisk or bust!

J.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steel B.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	92960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steel E.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	92961I ran across these images the other day and thought I'd see if they would scan OK. I shot them in 1973 on assignment in a steel mill. Tough shooting and very dangerous and hot! Much to my surprise my old VPS scanned just fine. I always loved these images and thought I would share them. Shot with a Technika and medium tele Schneider Tele Arton.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steel B.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	92960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steel E.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	92961I ran across these images the other day and thought I'd see if they would scan OK. I shot them in 1973 on assignment in a steel mill. Tough shooting and very dangerous and hot! Much to my surprise my old VPS scanned just fine. I always loved these images and thought I would share them. Shot with a Technika and medium tele Schneider Tele Arton.
    I have stood right where that man is standing (Hawkesbury, Ontario). I wish they would allow me to come back with a camera, any camera, but so far no.

Don, great shot. I like industry shots where people are part of the subject, showing the importance of people in industry. My career has led me though many potentially great photo opportunities, but I have not made the effort to have a camera + film at hand. Maybe some day...

Sinar P2 + Schneider 360mm f/6.8
    Fujichrome Provia 100F

Located off of US 224 between Findlay and Tiffin, OH.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8767645858_5d162b6d4c_z.jpg  

It has been a while...

Our Next Inspector by SeanGalbraith.com, on Flickr

Untitled (currently) by SeanGalbraith.com, on Flickr