Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KEH "Bargain" equipment.

KEH "Bargain" equipment.

I've been looking at a LF monorail in "bargain" condition on the KEH site, but don't have a real handle on just how beat-up these are. Does anyone have first hand experience buying "BGN" cameras at KEH?

Re: KEH "Bargain" equipment.

In my experience, KEH bargain grade equipment is truly a bargain in the literal sense of the word, not in actual condition. Usually expect some paint loss, perhaps a few superficial scratches, and maybe some scuffs. They tend to be very good about weeding out defective equipment of any type, and out of hundreds of items I've bought from them, I've had problems with 2 (which they exchanged without fuss or waiting). Just my 2 cents, KEH is sterling in my book.

Mike

Same here.

I bought a bargain sinar f. The lock mechanisms for rear movements were so worn that it was not really functional and it had a missing knob for front swing/shift. I asked them to check it before they sent it, shipping to me was not inexpensive. I fixed both problems with bits from a front standard that I bought here on LFPF. I bought a 150 mm Nikor W , Ex as I recall and the shutter jammed after about 20 exposures. I bought another very good lens for a high price and it had a hair between 2 elements and came with a 67mm step up ring and a cannon cap instead or an original, this on a lens requiring a 49mm cap. If you are somewhere where it is difficult for you to return an item, you run a high chance of being screwed.

This discussion has happened many times on here, and always has this result. Most people have great experiences with KEH, including BGN stuff (I have) the occasional person has a bad run with them and decides that they are patently bad.

Perhaps, if you are as mdm says, not in a position to easily return items, you may want to consider trying to purchase locally or new, but if you are in the 'states, I think their customer service is pretty good.

In my case, with several Hasselblad items, bargain should have read excellent to E+. I've had a bout ten transactions and all were terrific including one old style Zone VI WA bellows that came apart after about five months. They could not replace it so they refunded everything even though it was well out of warranty.

I would say buy with confidence.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Last night I received a Fuji 300W 5.6 from them that was rated bargain. I was a little tentative buying a lens rated that way, but I thought I'd give it a shot. To be honest, I'm amazed at the condition. The glass is sparkling and the barrel looks hardly used. The only reason that it might be rated bargain is because it had no lens caps, at least that's how I see it. This is my first try at using KEH and must say I would certainly buy a "bargain" lens again. Jim

Octogenarian

You only get what you pay for.

I purchase EX, or EX+ items from KEH. Learned that from experience.

Most problems with KEH occur when they send the wrong item.

However, they readily honor their "no questions asked" return policy.

If there's more than one grade of an item available, I always buy the BGN. No doubt some people are fussier than I am, but I've never been disappointed. You can always send it back. The worst that happens is that you're out postage.

I bought a "Bargain" rated Rolleicord from KEH. It had a minor dent in the base that was purely cosmetic; without the small dent I would have rated it EX+. Functions flawlessly. Much better than I had hoped for!