What a great forum this is!! I'm sure someone here can help me.

When shooting with my new (to me) Crown Graphic 4x5 w/ an Ektar f7.7 & Schneider 135. Mounted on a heavy duty tripod. Most of my negs are slightly out of focus. Enlargements are not sharp and therefore unprintable. Lenses were set to infini ty and both were IN FOCUS on the ground glass however. (There is no cam for rang efinder focusing.) No perspective adjustments were used. Polaroids looked good.

I have a few ideas why this happened, but would greatly appreciate any suggestio ns from this group.

My thoughts are: 1. Perhaps I was stopped down too far (f32 & f45) and lens defraction occured ca using the focus to shift. 2. Maybe (outside chance here) the lenses in question need to be adjusted (shimm ed) by Mr. Grimes for better sharpness. 3. OR - The film holders used that day did not place the film in the exact same plane as the ground glass plane. If this is true, how do I test and adjust witho ut using up a box of film? I have 14 holders 7 plastic and 7 wood. 4. OR - According to my wife, I can't see what I'm doing. Possible, but not like ly.