Thread: Best carry on roller case?

Best carry on roller case?

To use with 4X5 camera kits with a few lens and expensive stuff and films.

Re: Best carry on roller case?

Take a quick look here: http://www.pelican.com/

You might find a size that works well...

jim k

I use the Airport International from Thinktank - see here: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...mera-bags.aspx
    Juergen

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Take a quick look here: http://www.pelican.com/

You might find a size that works well...

jim k
    I was thinking about PCS 283, however I would like to see if there are any other products.

Pelican is on a buying spree, such as Storm Cases, and Hardigg...

While visiting a long time associate that distributes Pelican Cases across Canada from Calgary, an in-store customer mentioned that he was informed by the airline that there are certain restrictions, or will be certain restrictions, regarding the roller case design allowed onto the plane. I overheard his discussion indicating that those restrictions might apply to carry-on luggage destined for Europe and the Middle East, where I believe the latter destination to Dubai, happened to be the source of his short circuit. As a side note, he was looking at the 1610 Pelican Case for his camera equipment...

I do not know the validity of this claim, nor the result of the sale, but I might suggest that you take a moment to verify that a roller case design will be allowed on the plane, before you purchase a unit.

jim k

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Pelican is on a buying spree, such as Storm Cases, and Hardigg...

While visiting a long time associate that distributes Pelican Cases across Canada from Calgary, an in-store customer mentioned that he was informed by the airline that there are certain restrictions, or will be certain restrictions, regarding the roller case design allowed onto the plane. I overheard his discussion indicating that those restrictions might apply to carry-on luggage destined for Europe and the Middle East, where I believe the latter destination to Dubai, happened to be the source of his short circuit.

I do not know the validity of this claim, nor the result of the sale, but I might suggest that you take a moment to verify that a roller case design will be allowed on the plane, before you purchase a unit.

jim k
    Thanks, Jim. It seems the airline industry is not doing well, first, they started to charge check in baggage fee, now try to shrink the size of carry on bags. I understand that those rolling case might not fit in those regional plane overhead cabin. It shouldn't be any problems for 737 or bigger planes.

Pelican claims 1510 is their largest size roller case that is allowed as aircraft carry-on. I bought one a few months ago for a trip from oregon to florida with my 4x5 gear. Worked ok for me. But I wish it could be larger -- I could barely pack my 4x5 camera and 3 lenses in it.

If 1610 is allowed as carry-on, that would be much better.

I used to use a 1510 (or was it a 1520?) without dividers for my Technika, two lenses, LOTS of film, Polaroid, DSLR, and Laptop and cables. It all fit but the trick is to use lenswraps and pad items individually. Having it fun is best -- nothing to move or hit around inside the case.

However, in spite of their excellent warranty, the case did break one the closing taps -- I'd get a spare set.

And, given the weight and size rules that are starting to be imposed on us by our airlines, the wheeled, hard plastic cases weigh a lot because of their wheel and handle mecanism.... if you can switch to a backpack, I would.

I would also recommend a backpack over a hard roller case. I can fit my 4x5 system with tripod in an older Tenba backpack. I carry film and loaded holders in a separate shoulder bag. The film spends less time in the xray machine this way.

Yeah, if you want the gear to ride with you in the cabin go for a compact backpack or shoulder bag. On the last few regional flights I've taken for jobs, the airlines have required me to gate check my ThinkTank Airport Takeoff rollerbag